|Ft. Davidson State Historic Site|
|Missouri State Historic Site|
|Area||77.19 sq mi (200 km2) |
|State acquisition||1968 |
|Website: Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site|
Tents at the Fort Davidson Living History event, September 30, 2006
|Location||Pilot Knob, Missouri|
|NRHP Reference #||70000332|
|Added to NRHP||February 26, 1970|
Fort Davidson was the site of the Battle of Fort Davidson during the American Civil War. The site is protected as Ft. Davidson State Historic Site, part of the Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site in Pilot Knob, Missouri, managed by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Fort Davidson was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The earthworks of the fort are still generally intact, surrounding the huge hole that was caused by the powder explosion. Following the battle, the Confederates held the field and were therefore responsible for burying the dead. One of the rifle pits was accordingly selected for use as a mass grave. Although the exact number of Confederate casualties are unknown, park historians estimate that total Southern casualties were approximately 1,000. This compares to 200 Union casualties, 28 of which were killed. The mass grave is now marked by a granite monument.
Activities and amenities
A museum and interpretive center features a 25-minute film about the battle as well as a 15-minute audio-visual display of the battle in miniature. Displays include artifacts from the battle and from the Civil War in general.
- "Missouri State Park Advisory Board Annual Report 2008". Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "State Park Land Acquisition Summary". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site". Missouri State Parks. Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Iron County Place Names, 1928–1945 (archived)". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on 24 June 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Charla A. Piggott (December 1969). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Fort Davidson" (PDF). Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2017-01-01. (includes 5 photographs from 1969)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fort Davidson.|
- Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site Missouri Department of Natural Resources