Fort Matilda railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Gearastan Matilda|
Looking west as a train leaves for Gourock
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Caledonian Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 June 1889||Opened|
|5 February 1973||Temporarily closed|
|20 April 1973||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Fort Matilda from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Fort Matilda railway station lies at the far western edge of the town of Greenock, Scotland. It is a non-staffed station, and is the last stop before the terminus of Gourock on the Inverclyde Line out of Glasgow Central station.
The station was opened by the Caledonian Railway on 1 June 1889 when the Greenock line was extended to Gourock. It was closed temporarily between 5 February and 20 April 1973. It closed again in October 1993. The station has continued in use on an unmanned basis, with passengers getting their tickets on the train.
In 2011 the station building was taken over by the Greenock & District Model Railway Club, which obtained necessary approvals and funding from the Railway Heritage Trust and the Stations Community Regeneration Fund for conservation work and improvements to make the building into a clubhouse. Features such as external doors and screens are to be restored to their original appearance, and when completed accommodation will also be made available to other groups as well as use by the model railway club.
A busy commuter station in the west end of Greenock, but by 2007 most of the building was boarded up and disused. Lyle Hill can be seen beyond.
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . "Gaelic/English Station Index". Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 99. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- "Model Rail Club's Station Restoration Is On Track". inverclydenow. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Train times and station information for Fort Matilda railway station from National Rail
- "Website of the Greenock & District Model Railway Club". Retrieved 11 April 2012.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway