|• Mayor||Asaba Ruyonga|
|Elevation||4,860 ft (1,480 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Fort Portal is located approximately 320 kilometres (200 mi) by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city, on an all-tarmac two-lane highway. The coordinates of the town are:0°39'16.0"N, 30°16'28.0"E (Latitude:0.654444; Longitude:30.274444).
According to the 2002 national census, the population of Fort Portal was about 41,000. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 46,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population at 47,100. In August 2014, the national population census put the population at 54,275.
Points of interest
The following points of interest can be found in the town:
- headquarters of Kabarole District Administration
- offices of Fort Portal Town Council
- Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital, a 300-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Kabarole Missionary Hospital, a 60-bed community hospital administered by the Church of Uganda
- palace of the Omukama of Toro
- main campus of the Mountains of the Moon University, a private university and one of the 41 universities in Uganda as of February 2015.
- campus of Uganda Pentecostal University, a private university affiliated with the Pentecostal Movement
- Western Campus of Makerere University
- Fort Portal Currency Center, a currency storage and processing facility, owned and operated by the Bank of Uganda, Uganda's Central Bank.
- branch of the National Social Security Fund
- St. Mary's Seminary Virika.
- The eastern end of the Fort Portal–Bundibugyo–Lamia Road
- UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Distance Between Kampala And Fort Portal With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Google (2 July 2015). "Location of Fort Portal (Kabarole) At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Estimated Population of Fort Portal In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- UNAS, . (2014). "List of Accredited Universities In Uganda". Uganda National Academy of Sciences (UNAS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "List of Bank of Uganda Currency Centers". Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 21 April 2014.