Fort Wayne Derby Girls
|Metro area||Fort Wayne, IN|
|Teams||Bomb Squad (A team)
SWAT Team (B team)
The Academy (rookie team)
|Venue||Allen County War Memorial Coliseum|
The Fort Wayne Derby Girls (FWDG) is a roller derby league based in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Founded in 2005, the league currently consists of two teams which compete against teams from all over the United States and Canada.
FWDG was the first flat track roller derby league in Indiana, founded in October 2005 by Danielle Abbott, who skates under the derby name "Little D Evil" and Tonya Vojtkofsky, who skates as "Minx".
The league played its first exhibition bout in May 2006, to a crowd of 1,200 fans. According to Amber Recker, the first skater to respond to Minx's call for a new team, "We kind of had to get butts in seats by playing up the fighting and more of the sexy aspect of it. As we've evolved... we're much more sports driven". FWDG first played a team from another league in January 2007, when it took on the Gem City Rollergirls, and, in the same month, it joined the Women's Flat Track Derby Association, (and was announced as a new member by the WFTDA in May 2007)and by mid-year was ranked 29th in the country.
The league also focuses on charitable fundraising, and had donated more than $26,000 to charities by June 2008, and $110,000 by September 2013. In 2009, it formed a B team, scrapping its intraleague teams.
FWDG hosts the annual Spring Roll tournament, featuring women's, men's and junior roller derby tournaments.
- "Roller derby meet expected to draw 8 clubs to Coliseum", Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette, 28 October 2007
- "About". Fort Wayne Derby Girls. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Chad Ryan, "Derby Girls ready to roll on 5th season", Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, 7 January 2010
- "Fort Wayne Derby Girls, Inc. Joins Women's Flat Track Derby Association", WFTDA, 10 January 2007
- "WFTDA Newsletter - May 2007". WFTDA. Archived from the original on 12 May 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Andrew Swanson, "Derby Girls give back to community", Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, 18 June 2008
- Aubree Reichel, "Derby Girls roll out welcome wagon", Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, 1 September 2013
- Chad Ryan, "Derby Girls on fire to win", Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, 9 January 2009
- Cindy Larson, "Rockin' and rollin'", Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, 13 May 2011
- "Current Rankings", WFTDA
- "Current WFTDA Rankings", Derby News Network, October 2007