Fort Zumwalt South High School
|Fort Zumwalt South High School|
|Saint Peters, Missouri, MO
|Principal||Dr. Kevin Keltner|
|Grades||9th – 12th|
|Number of students||1,645|
|Athletics||Baseball, Softball, Cross Country, Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Wrestling, Basketball, Track and Field, Swimming/Diving, Tennis, and Football|
|Athletics conference||Gateway North|
|Newspaper||The Dog Dispatch|
In 1987, FZS was the second high school to be founded in the Fort Zumwalt District (after Fort Zumwalt North). Its students are mostly white middle class, although the small minority population in the area is growing. There are many extracurricular activities offered, including basketball, soccer, swimming, volleyball, football, marching band, choir, National Honors Society, and other sport, academic, and arts activities. FZS participates in the A+ program.[clarification needed]
The school started out in 1987 with a little over 400 students and dramatically increased to over 2,600 by 1998 making it one of the largest schools in the state. When West High was completed, the student population went down to around 2,100. Enrollment increased to 2,300 students before subsiding to around 1,400 with completion of East High.
Sports and extracurricular activities
Fort Zumwalt South's Winter Guard placed 1st in their division in 2011 and again in 2013. The Fort Zumwalt South Bulldogs won the Missouri State Championship in Cross Country in 2005 and 2006. They also, in 2009, won the Missouri State Championship in Baseball.
In February 2013 and February 2014, South High's science bowl team won the regional competition allowing them to represent Missouri at nationals in Washington D.C.
- Musket, Laura (Summer 2009). "Administrative Changes" (PDF). Fort Zumwalt News. Fort Zumwalt School District. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "MCCGA Color Guard Recap, MCCGA Championships". March 26, 2011. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "MCCGA Guard Championships-Ozark". Mid-Continent Color Guard Association. April 6, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- Martin, Craig (September 18, 2005). "Fort Zumwalt South cruises; Herky shines". Saint Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved June 8, 2009.
Fort Zumwalt South, which also won last week's Missouri Cross Country Challenge in Columbia, is setting itself up as a legitimate contender.
- Martin, Craig (November 5, 2006). "Zumwalt South repeats". stltoday.com. St. Louis Post Dispatch. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
Fort Zumwalt South knew what it would take to win a state title, and the Bulldogs did just that.
- Raymer, Kai (June 7, 2009). "Fort Zumwalt South wins first baseball title". Springfield News-Leader.
It's Fort Zumwalt's first-ever state title in baseball.
- Armour, Amy (April 1, 2013). "Fort Zumwalt South students to represent state in National Science Bowl". Mid Rivers Newsmagazine. West Media. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
|This Missouri school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|