|Developer(s)||Fortress Forever Development Team|
September 13, 2007(Steam) March 27, 2015
Fortress Forever is a free, open-source multiplayer first-person shooter total conversion modification for Half-Life 2. The game is based on Team Fortress Classic, but has been created entirely from scratch by the Fortress Forever development team. The intended scope of Fortress Forever is to please older Team Fortress Classic fans, while at the same time creating a game enjoyable enough to players new to Team Fortress styled games.
Fortress Forever was originally released as a modification for Half-Life 2 on September 13, 2007, where anyone who owned a copy of the game could play the modification. The game is now freely available to all who have a Steam account. On May 24, 2013, Fortress Forever updated to version 2.46 . Version 2.46 incorporated an auto-updater for future client updates. On October 16, 2013, FF was 'greenlit' on Steam Greenlight, meaning the game would be coming to Steam (software) soon. Version 2.46 was the last version of Fortress Forever released before the game and future updates released on Steam.
On March 20, 2015, It was announced that Fortress Forever would be released for download on Steam on March 27, 2015 and they did release as planned with version 2.5.
On June 5, 2016, the latest version, version 2.6 was released. This was also the first major update (the first update with a version number) since the Steam release.
- Article in Computer Gaming World from October 2006, page 77 the US edition.
- Article in PCGamer from December 2006, page 128 the US edition.
- Feature: Mods of 2005 - Mod DB
- Best Mod of 2007 in PC Gamer magazine.
- Fortress Forever news (2007-09-13). Official release date: September 13th. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- Fortress Forever News (6th May, 2013). 2.46 Released!. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Fortress Forever 2.46 Released! News - Mod DB. 2.46 Released!. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Steam Workshop :: October 16th Batch of Greenlight Titles". Steam Workshop :: October 16th Batch of Greenlight Titles. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- O'Conner, Alice. "Classic Team Fortress: Steam Release For Fortress Forever". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Steam Community :: Fortress Forever v2.6 Released (June 2016). Fortress Forever v2.6 Released (June 2016). Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- The Far2Cool Network forums. TFC:S 3rd Party MOD - Fortress Forever Announced. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- The Catacombs forums. Fortress Forever - A Team Fortress Mod for HL2. Retrieved 2007-03-23.