Fortune Bridge, Prince Edward Island
Author Elmer Blaney Harris built a summer home and founded an artist colony in Fortune Bridge. Local residents, including Lydia Dingwell (1852-1931) of nearby Dingwells Mills, would be the inspiration for his play Johnny Belinda. The home was later owned by actress Colleen Dewhurst and is now The Inn at Bay Fortune and Fireworks restaurant, owned and operated by Chef Michael Smith and his partner Chastity Smith.
Fortune Bridge Today
Fortune Bridge is known for tourism, farming, and fishing. Fortune Bridge is home to the Fortune River and "Front Beach". Many cottages are located in the area due to its scenic vistas. During the summer months, the Fortune River is a popular destination for boaters and paddlers of all skill levels, due to it being calm and sheltered. Paddles on Fortune River has opened in 2017 to offer kayak and paddleboard rentals for river exploration. Fortune Bridge is also home to the Fortune Community Centre, serving the local area since 1928.
- Search for Fortune Bridge Archived 2007-08-30 at the Wayback Machine. at Canadian Geographical Names
- Fortune Bridge at Statistics Canada
- Fortune Bridge Archived 2007-06-29 at the Wayback Machine. at The Communities of Eastern Kings
- Bio @ The Official Elmer Blaney Harris Homepage Archived 2005-02-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Elmer Harris @ Internet Broadway Database
- Elmer Harris on IMDb
- *Johnny Belinda on IMDb
- "Inn at Bay Fortune".
- Fortune Bridge at PEI Place Finder
- "Paddles on Fortune River".
- "Fortune Community Centre".