by Sam Wasson
|Country of origin||United States|
|Original release||April 2019|
Fosse/Verdon tells the story of "the romantic and creative partnership between Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon. He was a filmmaker and one of theater's most influential choreographers and directors; she was the greatest Broadway dancer of all time. Together, they changed the face of American entertainment — at a perilous cost."
Cast and characters
- Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse
- Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon
- Margaret Qualley as Ann Reinking
- Norbert Leo Butz as Paddy Chayefsky
- Aya Cash as Joan Simon
- Nate Corddry as Neil Simon
- Susan Misner as Joan McCracken
- Bianca Marroquín as Chita Rivera
- Kelli Barrett as Liza Minnelli
- Evan Handler as Hal Prince
- Rick Holmes as Fred Weaver
- Paul Reiser as Cy Feuer
- Ethan Slater as Joel Grey
- Byron Jennings as George Abbott
- Laura Osnes as Shirley MacLaine
On July 5, 2018, it was announced that FX had given a series order consisting of eight episodes to a television miniseries adaptation of Sam Wasson's biography of Bob Fosse, Fosse. Steven Levenson was expected to serve as showrunner for the series and write the first episode, which was set to be directed by Thomas Kail. Executive producers were slated to consist of Levenson, Kail, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams, and George Stelzner. Additionally, Nicole Fosse was set to serve as a co-executive producer and Andy Blankenbuehler as a co-producer. Production companies were expected to include Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions. On October 25, 2018, it was reported that Kail would direct a total of four of the eight episodes of the series. A day later, it was announced that Joel Fields had joined the production as an additional writer and executive producer.
Alongside the series order announcement, it was confirmed that Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams had been cast in the lead roles of Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon, respectively. On November 19, 2018, it was announced Margaret Qualley and Norbert Leo Butz had been cast in series regular roles and that Aya Cash, Nate Corddry, Susan Misner, Bianca Marroquín, Kelli Barrett, Evan Handler, Rick Holmes, Paul Reiser, Ethan Slater, Byron Jennings, and Laura Osnes had joined the cast cast in a recurring capacity.
On January 6, 2019, a teaser trailer for the series was released.
- Goldberg, Lesley (July 24, 2018). "Lin-Manuel Miranda, Michelle Williams, Sam Rockwell Team for Fosse-Verdon Series at FX". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Evans, Suzy (October 25, 2018). "Steven Levenson and Mike Faist on Teaming Up Again for 'Days of Rage'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Sandberg, Bryn Elise (October 26, 2018). "'The Americans' Producer Joel Fields Joins FX's Fosse-Verdon Series". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (November 19, 2018). "'Fosse/Verdon' FX Limited Series Rounds Out Cast; Norbert Leo Butz & Margaret Qualley Set As Series Regulars". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- Welch, Rebecca (November 14, 2018). "Chris Evans' Next Adventure Is Casting Now". Backstage. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 6, 2019). "Sam Rockwell-Michelle Williams FX Series 'Fosse/Verdon' Unveils First Teaser". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 6, 2019.