Foto na Dans
|Foto Na Dans|
|Origin||Bellville, South Africa|
|Members||Le Roi Nel
Foto Na Dans (English: Photo After Dance) is a five piece Afrikaans progressive rock band from Bellville, South Africa, fronted by singer/songwriter Le-Roi Nel (vocals, guitar). Other band members are Neil Basson (lead guitar, vocals), John Havemann (bass), Alex Fourie (trumpet, keyboard), Dirkie Uys (drums).
All of the band members beside Nel were previously in the band, Trompie Is Dood which won the national highschool Afrikaans rock band competition, Rockspaaider, in 2005. Some band members from Trompie Is Dood went their separate ways which left space for a vocalist; this position was later filled by LeRoi Nel.
The song "Afrikaans" was released by Foto na Dans in collaboration with Flash Republic and is freely downloadable from the Dans Republic website.
Third studio album
The third studio album (currently unnamed) has been announced on the band's Facebook page. The band has stated that they are currently busy in studio, that the first single will be available mid-April and that the CD will be released in mid-May.
Awards and nominations
Their video for the single Soldaatvolk is nominated for Best Love Scene and for Best Video while the band is nominated for Best Group in the 2008 MK Awards. Foto Na Dans won the Best Group category after going up against the likes of The Parlotones, Springbok Nude Girls and Cassette.
Foto Na Dans was also nominated in 2008 for a SAMA (South African Music Award) for Best Afrikaans Rock Album for their debut album 'Intervensie'.
- Foto Na Dans EP - January 2007
- Intervensie - September 2007
- Pantomime op Herwinbare Klanke - 2008
- Die Vloed - 2010
|"Huiwerig"||Foto Na Dans EP 2007||Rhythm Records|
|"Soldaatvolk"||Foto Na Dans EP 2007||Rhythm Records|
|"Vergeet Van My"||Intervensie 2007||Rhythm Records|
|"Hou Jou Hande by Mekaar"||Intervensie 2007||Rhythm Records|
|"Natuurlik Verlig"||Pantomime Op Herwinbare Klanke 2008||Rhythm Records|
|"Die Vloed"||Die Vloed 2010||Rhythm Records|
In January 2012, the band announced that they would be going on indefinite hiatus in order to pursue other musical avenues. They played three final farewell shows in February 2012 entitled "Die Laaste Dans" (English: The Final Dance).
- Oppikoppi. "On Behalf of Oppikoppi: Bands Performing at Oppikoppi, 2007". Archived from the original on 11 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- iAfrica. "iAfrica Music Review". Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- Yolandi Groenewald. "Isolation.tv Interview". Retrieved 2007-11-18.
- "Dans Republic". Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Foto na Dans' Facebook page". Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- nominations page|http://www.mnet.co.za/MK/shows/displayShow.asp?id=48&Type=art&ArticleId=655
- MIO News Article|http://www.mio.co.za/newsitem.php?id=2818