Foundation (TV series)
|Based on||Foundation series|
by Isaac Asimov
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||Skydance Television|
|Original network||Apple TV+|
Foundation is a proposed American science fiction television series based on the book series of the same name by Isaac Asimov and produced for Apple TV+. Asimov's trilogy has been developed multiple times for feature films and television.
Foundation chronicles "the thousand year saga of The Foundation, a band of exiles who discover that the only way to save the Galactic Empire from destruction is to defy it."
On June 27, 2017, it was reported that Skydance Television was developing a television series adaptation of Isaac Asimov's science fiction book series Foundation with David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman serving as the production's writers. At the time of the report, the production company was in the midst of closing a deal with Asimov's estate for the rights to the book series.
On April 10, 2018, it was announced that Apple, through their Worldwide Video Unit, had bought the series and put it into development with the potential for straight-to-series order. It was further announced that Goyer and Friedman were also expected to serve as executive producers and showrunners. Other executive producers announced included David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, and Marcy Ross. On August 23, 2018, it was announced that Apple had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. Additionally, it was announced that Asimov's daughter, Robyn Asimov, would also serve as an executive producer.
On April 18th, 2019, Josh Friedman left as co-writer and co-showrunner. This was apparently planned, with either Friedman or Goyer leaving and the other staying.
The series is currently in pre-production.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 23, 2018). "'Foundation': Apple Gives Series Order To Adaptation Of Isaac Asimov's Sci-Fi Classic From David Goyer & Josh Friedman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (June 27, 2017). "Skydance Trying Asimov's 'Foundation' As TV Series; David Goyer, Josh Friedman To Adapt". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike; Andreeva, Nellie (April 10, 2018). "Apple Lands Isaac Asimov 'Foundation' TV Series From David Goyer & Josh Friedman". Deadline Hollywod. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "'Foundation' Co-Showrunner Josh Friedman Departs Apple Drama (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- "Limerick's Troy Studios agrees deal to host €45m Apple TV drama". www.limerickleader.ie. Retrieved 2019-07-29.