Foundation (TV series)
by Isaac Asimov
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company||Skydance Television|
|Original network||Apple TV+|
Foundation is an upcoming American science fiction television series based on the book series of the same name by Isaac Asimov and produced by David S. Goyer for Apple TV+. In January 2021, Goyer stated “...with Foundation we can tell the story, hopefully, over the course of eighty episodes; eighty hours, as opposed to trying to condense it all into two or three hours for a single film”. Foundation is set to premiere in 2021.
- Jared Harris as Hari Seldon
- Lee Pace as Brother Day, Emperor of the Galaxy
- Lou Llobell as Gaal Dornick
- Leah Harvey as Salvor Hardin
- Laura Birn as Eto Demerzel
- Cassian Bilton as Brother Dawn
- Terrence Mann as Brother Dusk
- Alfred Enoch
|No.||Title||Directed by ||Written by||Original release date|
On June 27, 2017, it was reported that Skydance Television was developing a television series adaptation of Isaac Asimov's science fiction book series Foundation with David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman serving as the production's writers. At the time of the report, the production company was in the midst of closing a deal with Asimov's estate for the rights to the book series. On April 10, 2018, it was announced that Apple, through their Worldwide Video Unit, had bought the series and put it into development with the potential for straight-to-series order. It was further announced that Goyer and Friedman were also expected to serve as executive producers and showrunners. Other executive producers announced included David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, and Marcy Ross.
On August 23, 2018, it was announced that Apple had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. It was also announced that Asimov's daughter, Robyn Asimov, would serve as an executive producer. On April 18, 2019, Josh Friedman left as co-writer and co-showrunner. On July 28, 2019, it was revealed that Troy Studios in Limerick, Ireland, would host production of the show. Troy Studios previously hosted productions of the Syfy series NightFlyers. According to Screen Ireland the series would create more than 500 production jobs at the studio.
On October 22, 2019, it was announced that Lee Pace and Jared Harris were cast as Brother Day and Hari Seldon, respectively. In addition, David Goyer was confirmed as the sole official showrunner for the series.
On December 4, 2019, five additional cast members were announced: Lou Llobell stars as Gaal, a mathematical genius from a rural, repressed planet. Leah Harvey will play Salvor, the protective and intuitive warden of a remote outer planet. Laura Birn will star as Eto Demerzel, the enigmatic aide to the Emperor of the Galaxy. Terrence Mann will star as Brother Dusk, the eldest living member of the ruling family. Cassian Bilton will play Brother Dawn, the youngest living member of the ruling family and next in line to be Brother Day.
On March 12, 2020, Apple suspended production of the show in Ireland due to COVID-19. On October 6, filming was resumed. On January 27, 2021, Goyer announced that after quarantining and receiving special waivers from the government of Malta, cast and crew members were allowed to start filming on the island. Goyer noted, filming was always planned to be conducted in Malta; however, due to new restrictions imposed in London, they will move significant portions of production to Malta. Filming in Malta concluded in February 2021.
- "Lovin Malta interview with David Goyer". YouTube. January 27, 2021. Retrieved February 12, 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 23, 2018). "'Foundation': Apple Gives Series Order To Adaptation Of Isaac Asimov's Sci-Fi Classic From David Goyer & Josh Friedman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (June 27, 2017). "Skydance Trying Asimov's 'Foundation' As TV Series; David Goyer, Josh Friedman To Adapt". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike; Andreeva, Nellie (April 10, 2018). "Apple Lands Isaac Asimov 'Foundation' TV Series From David Goyer & Josh Friedman". Deadline. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 18, 2019). "'Foundation' Co-Showrunner Josh Friedman Departs Apple Drama (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Hurley, David (July 28, 2019). "Limerick's Troy Studios agrees deal to host €45m Apple TV drama". www.limerickleader.ie. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- David Raleigh (February 20, 2019). "Limerick's Troy Studios seeks to replace pulled 'Nightflyers'". Cork Examiner.
- Grater, Tom (January 31, 2020). "Apple Series 'Foundation' Set To Be Ireland's Largest Ever Production, Employing 500+ People". Deadline Hollywood.
- Ausiello, Michael (October 22, 2019). "Lee Pace and Jared Harris to Star in 10-Episode Adaptation of Isaac Asimov's Sci-Fi Classic Foundation at Apple TV+". TVLine. Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- Otterson, Joe (December 4, 2019). "Apple's Isaac Asimov Series 'Foundation' Adds Five to Cast". Variety.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 12, 2020). "'Foundation' TV Series Suspends Production In Ireland Amid Coronavirus Pandemic". Deadline Hollywood.
- Finn, Melanie (October 6, 2020). "€45m sci-fi series Foundation resumes filming in Limerick in huge boost for TV industry here". Independent.ie. Retrieved February 12, 2021.
- Staff, F. N. E. "Apple TV+ Series Foundation Wraps First Season Shoot in Malta - FilmNewEurope.com". www.filmneweurope.com. Retrieved February 18, 2021.
- Alexander, Julia (June 22, 2020). "Apple debuts first look at Foundation TV series, coming to Apple TV Plus".
- February 2021, Harry Domanski 15. "Apple's adaptation of Asimov's Foundation series gets a launch date". TechRadar. Retrieved February 18, 2021.