Foundation for Research & Technology – Hellas
The Foundation for Research & Technology – Hellas (FORTH) (Greek: Ίδρυμα Τεχνολογίας και Έρευνας - ΙΤΕ) is a research center in Greece, supervised by the Ministry for Education through its General Secretariat for Research and Technology. It consists of seven research institutes, which are located in various cities of Greece: Heraklion, Rethymno, Patras and Ioannina. The Foundation’s headquarters, as well as the central administration offices are located in Heraklion, Crete.
Established in 1983, FORTH is today internationally known and one of the largest research organizations in Greece. FORTH's research and technological focus is on areas of scientific, social, and economic interest, such as: computer science, molecular biology, lasers, telecommunications, microelectronics, robotics, biotechnology, materials, medical engineering, applied and computational mathematics, biomedical research, Mediterranean Studies, and historical studies. FORTH also operates Crete University Press, an independent non-profit publishing house.
FORTH currently consists of the following research institutes:
- Biomedical Research Institute - BRI
- Institute of Applied Computational Mathematics - IACM
- Institute of Chemical Engineering & High Temperature Processes - ICE/HT
- Institute of Computer Science - ICS
- Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser - IESL
- Institute of Mediterranean Studies - IMS
- Institute of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology - IMBB
From 1987 to 2000, the Chemical Process Engineering Research Institute (CPERI) based in Thessaloniki was also part of FORTH. In 2000, CPERI was separated from FORTH to become a founding member of a new research center, the National Centre for Research and Technology-Hellas (CERTH).
- FORTH Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS) founded in 1985.