Fountain Hill, Arkansas
|Fountain Hill, Arkansas|
Location in Ashley County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|• Land||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||190 ft (58 m)|
|• Density||298/sq mi (115.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0076957|
Fountain Hill is located at (33.355421, -91.851173).
As of the census of 2000, there were 159 people, 66 households, and 39 families residing in the town. The population density was 104.1/km² (271.0/mi²). There were 77 housing units at an average density of 50.4/km² (131.3/mi²). The racial makeup of the town was 60.38% White, 35.22% Black or African American, 1.89% from other races, and 2.52% from two or more races. 2.52% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 66 households out of which 19.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.0% were married couples living together, 10.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.9% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.5% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 80.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,250, and the median income for a family was $37,750. Males had a median income of $22,000 versus $16,875 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,568. About 2.7% of families and 10.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under the age of eighteen and 17.2% of those sixty five or over.
Public education is provide to elementary and secondary school students from the Hamburg School District leading to graduation from Hamburg High School. Prior to school district consolidations in 2008, students attended Fountain Hill School District and its Fountain Hill High School, which had the Wildcat as its mascot.
- Joseph Jackson, born in Fountain Hill, 1929 - father of Michael Jackson.
- Jenny Wingfield, screenwriter and author, born in Fountain Hill
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Fountain Hill town, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jackson, Katherine; Rich Wiseman (1990). My Family, the Jacksons. St. Martin's Paperbacks. ISBN 0-312-92350-3.