Fountain Run, Kentucky
Fountain Run, Kentucky
Stores along Main Street
Crossroads of Three Counties
Location of Fountain Run in Monroe County, Kentucky.
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||791 ft (241 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||241.6/sq mi (93.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0492374|
Fountain Run is located at  It is located in Monroe County near the point where Allen, Monroe, and Barren Counties come together.(36.721319, -85.961398).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
Fountain Run was originally called “Jamestown,” and appears in public records and on maps with this name through the Civil War. The order establishing Jamestown on 50 acres of land owned by Jacob Goodman, Sr. was entered in Barren County Court Order Book #4 during November Court, 1816. The later name change to “Fountain Run” was required for the new post office (1847) because of “Jamestown,” already established as the county seat of Russell County.
“Jimtown” (colloquial for Jamestown) as a nickname for the town and community persisted after the new postal name of “Fountain Run” was created. For example, the “Glasgow and Jimtown Turnpike” was authorized by an Act of the legislature (Chapter 906), February 17, 1866, as a toll road from Glasgow to Fountain Run.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 236 people, 110 households, and 66 families residing in the city. The population density was 241.6 people per square mile (93.0/km²). There were 119 housing units at an average density of 121.8 per square mile (46.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.76% White, 2.54% African American, 1.69% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.69% of the population.
There were 110 households out of which 25.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 13.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.1% were non-families. 36.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 29.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.15 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the city, the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 20.8% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 26.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females, there were 71.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 68.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $11,591, and the median income for a family was $26,875. Males had a median income of $21,250 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,547. About 22.8% of families and 27.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.8% of those under the age of eighteen and 44.4% of those sixty five or over.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Peden, Eva Coe, Gladys Benedict Wilson, Sandra K. Gorin, and Martha Powell Reneau. Barren County, Kentucky Order Book. Glasgow, Kentucky: S.K.L. Gorin, 1976.
- Kentucky. Acts of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky: Passed at the Session of the General Assembly Which Was Begun and Held in the City of Frankfort, on Monday, the Fourth Day of December, 1865. Frankfort, Ky: Printed at the State Printing Office, George D. Prentice, State printer, 1866. pp. 804-6.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "Fountain Run, Kentucky". Accessed 26 July 2013.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.