Four Horsemen (drink)
|Type||Mixed drink shooter/drink shot|
|Primary alcohol by volume|
|Served||Neat; undiluted and without ice|
|Standard drinkware||Shot glass|
|Commonly used ingredients|
|Preparation||Mix the four spirits together into the shot glass, and down immediately.|
The Four Horsemen is a cocktail containing four hard liquors and named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The name of the drink is derived from the fact that the most common brand names of each ingredient are also male given names and the drinks have a high alcohol content (and therefore tend to have a very strong effect on human physiology). Additionally, the four brand names usually all begin with the letter "J" (see sidebar), giving further unity to the concept of the "Four Horsemen".
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Adds one part of Bacardi 151
- Four Horsemen on a Mexican Trail - Adds one part Jose Cuervo
- Four Horsemen meet a Sailor in the Gulf of Mexico - Add one part Sailor Jerry and one part Jose Cuervo
- Four Horsemen and Hell Follows - Adds one part of Everclear
- Four Horsemen Go Hunting - Adds one part of Wild Turkey
- Four Men in a Boat - Adds one part of Grand Marnier
- Four Horsemen Go to Sea - Adds one part of Captain Morgan
- Four Horsemen Go To Hell - Do one of each liquor in short form (5 total). One shot Jack Daniels, one shot Jim Beam, one shot Johnnie Walker, one shot Jamesons and the last shot is Bacardi 151 that you may or may not light up.
- Alternate version - common variant that contains Goldschläger, Jägermeister, Rumple Minze, and Bacardi 151.
- Three ingredient variants - If only three of the whiskey ingredients are used, it may be referred to as Three Wise Men. Similarly themed variants as above exist for the three ingredient version as well (e.g. Three Wise Men go Hunting)
- Flaming Four Horsemen - For this variant, each part is poured into its own shot glass in a row and then topped with an easily flammable liquor (such as Bacardi 151 or Everclear) poured across all four glasses in a line. Lighting one side should send the flames across all four glasses, which are then blown out and drunk. Usually performed by four people as a group shot.
- Four Dudes in a Tub - This variant replaces whiskey with the following malt liquors: Mickey's, Olde English 800, Saint Ides, and King Cobra.
- Three Horsemen & a Drummer - Jack, Jim, Johnnie, and Drambuie