Four Hundred Years
|Four Hundred Years|
|Origin||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, Emo, Indie rock, Hardcore|
|Instruments||vocals, guitars, drums|
|Associated acts||Policy of 3, Bats & Mice, R.A.M.B.O. Groundwork|
|Past members||Daron Hollowell, Ash Bruce, Erin Housholder, Dave Jackson.|
Four Hundred Years was a melodic screamo band.
Four Hundred Years began in Tucson, Arizona, following the break-up of Groundwork, and eventually found a home in Richmond, Virginia. The band's albums capture a frenzy of hardcore intensity, built around simultaneously emotional and political themes. Four Hundred Years formed in 1996 with Daron Hollowell on vocals and guitar, Ash Bruce on drums, Erin Housholder on bass and Dave Jackson on guitar and vocals. The band began to write intense hardcore songs with a sound descended from Rites of Spring, Fugazi and Hoover. Their full-length debut, Transmit Failure was released on Lovitt Records in September 1998. The record combined melody and dissonance stunningly and the group soon found themselves with a large, loyal following. Suture and Other Songs was released in 1999. In 2000, after a lineup change, with Bull (bass, formerly of Policy of Three and Montag) replacing Erin Housholder, The New Imperialism was released on Lovitt.
Upon the completion of recording The New Imperialism they played four final shows on the east coast before disbanding.
After Four Hundred Years
Daron Hollowell and Ash Bruce went on to join Bats and Mice with David NeSmith and Ben Davis, formerly of Sleepytime Trio; a band whose music belies its hardcore roots with gentle, melodic and experimental rock. Later, Daron and Ash also worked together in a project named Delegate.
- Suture 12" LP - The Great American Steak Religion - 1997
- Signal 7" - Yuletide/Rosepetal - 1997
- Split 7" w/ Sleepytime Trio - Smoothlips Records - 1997
- Sequence on The ABC's of Punk - Whirled Records - 1997
- Untitled on The 51 Comp - Join The Team Players Records - 1998
- Transmit Failure - Lovitt Records - 1998
- Suture and Other Songs - Lovitt Records - 1999
- Split 7" w/ Seein' Red - The Smith and Nephew Company - 2000
- The New Imperialism - Lovitt Records - 2000