Four Star Pizza
|Industry||Pizza delivery |
|Founded||Washington, Pennsylvania, US, 1981|
Number of locations
|49 (Ireland) |
8 (United States)
|Owner||Four Star Pizza (Ireland) Ltd|
Four Star Pizza is a fast food pizza company which operates throughout the island of Ireland. It originated in Washington, Pennsylvania, US, in 1981 by Alan and Susan Cottrill, who previously operated Domino's Pizza stores in Ohio. Besides sharing the English language, Alan Cottrill sensed a market for American style delivery pizza, and traveled to Ireland in 1986 to launch the chain in Dublin. The first outlet in Ireland opened in 1986 and the chain has steadily grown, being present in most regions of the Republic and Northern Ireland.
In 2017, there are 49 outlets across the island of Ireland with plans to open another 10 shops during 2018. At the same time, eight Four Star Pizza outlets operate in the United States, located in Western Pennsylvania and Ohio.
On November 15, 2010, both Four Star Pizza and its holding company, Zowington, applied at the High Court for protection from their creditors (examinership), with Mr Justice Frank Clarke being told that both companies were insolvent and could not pay their debts. The creditors were reported as including National Irish Bank (who are owed €4.9 million), an ingredients supply firm, a printing firm and the Revenue Commissioners. An interim examiner was appointed by the High Court.[dead link] Michael Holland and his company Gonville Ltd took over the Irish and UK franchises in 2011.
- Gannon, Joyce (March 13, 1990). "Corn on pizza? Four Star adapts to foreign tastes". The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 22. Retrieved December 23, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Franchise Four Star Pizza - delivery of pizza / sandwiches - Franchise Directory - FranchiseKEY US". www.franchisekey.com. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
The Four Star Pizza company was launched in the USA in 1981 by our founder Alan Cottrill. Our first model store set up in 1986 in the Irish capital Dublin.
- "Four Star". fourstarpizza.com. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- Mullig, Mario (November 22, 1987). "Founder of Four Star Pizza finds that he who laughs last ..." The Observer Reporter. Washington, Pennsylvania. p. B5. Retrieved December 23, 2017 – via GoogleNews.
- "Four Star Pizza Northern Ireland". Fourstarpizzani.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- Hancock, Ciaran (2010-11-16). "Four Star Pizza chain has interim examiner appointed". Irish Times. Retrieved 2010-11-16.