Four Weddings and a Funeral (miniseries)
|Four Weddings and a Funeral|
|Based on||Four Weddings and a Funeral|
by Richard Curtis
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||44–50 minutes|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
MGM Worldwide Television Distribution
|Original release||July 31, 2019 –|
Four Weddings and a Funeral is an American romantic comedy web television miniseries, based on the 1994 British film of the same name written by Richard Curtis. The miniseries, which premiered on July 31, 2019 on Hulu, was created by Mindy Kaling and Matt Warburton, the showrunner was Tracey Wigfield, and the stars are Nathalie Emmanuel, Nikesh Patel, Rebecca Rittenhouse, Brandon Mychal Smith, and John Paul Reynolds.
Four Weddings and a Funeral follows "four American friends — Maya, Craig, Ainsley, and Duffy — who reunite for a fabulous London wedding. But after a bombshell at the altar throws their lives into turmoil, they must weather a tumultuous year of romance and heartbreak. Relationships are forged and broken, political scandals exposed, London social life lampooned, love affairs ignited and doused, and of course, there are four weddings...and a funeral."
Cast and characters
- Nathalie Emmanuel as Maya, a political speechwriter from the United States who recently moved to London to be closer to her best friends from college
- Nikesh Patel as Kash, Ainsley's ex-fiancé and an unhappy investment banker who wants to become an actor
- Rebecca Rittenhouse as Ainsley Howard, an interior designer whose parents fund her interior design business and apartment
- John Reynolds as Duffy, an English teacher who wants to become a novelist. He has been secretly in love with Maya for a decade.
- Brandon Mychal Smith as Craig, an investment banker who is also Kash's office mate
- Zoe Boyle as Gemma, Ainsley's British neighbor and friend who is a housewife
- Sophia La Porta as Zara, Craig's girlfriend
- Harish Patel as Haroon, Kash's father who works at Heathrow Airport
- Guz Khan as Basheer, one of Kash's friends
- Tom Mison as Quentin, Gemma's wealthy husband
- Ashley Madekwe as Julia, the mother of Craig's daughter Molly
- Andie MacDowell as Mrs. Howard, Ainsley's mother
- Tommy Dewey as Ted, a New York-based senator who had an affair with Maya
On November 1, 2017, it was announced that Hulu was developing an anthology television series adaptation of the film Four Weddings and a Funeral. Executive producers were set to include Mindy Kaling, Matt Warburton, Richard Curtis, Jonathan Prince, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, and Howard Klein. Production companies involved with the series were expected to consist of Working Title Films, 3 Arts Entertainment, MGM Television, and Universal Television. On May 2, 2018, it was announced that Hulu had given the production a series order.
On April 12, 2019, it was announced that the series is set to premiere on July 31, 2019.
On October 26, 2018, it was announced that Jessica Williams, Nikesh Patel, Rebecca Rittenhouse, and John Paul Reynolds had been cast in starring roles. On November 21, 2018, it was reported that Williams' lead role of Jess had been reconceived into a new character named Maya and that Williams had been recast in the role by Nathalie Emmanuel. Additionally, it was further reported that Brandon Mychal Smith, Zoe Boyle, Jennie Jacques, Harish Patel and Guz Khan had joined the cast and that Andie MacDowell would make a guest appearance in a nod to her starring role in the 1994 film, albeit not as her original character Carrie from the film. On December 7, 2018, it was announced that Tom Mison and Ashley Madekwe had been cast in recurring roles and that Tommy Dewey would make a guest appearance. In February 2019, Sophia La Porta joined the cast.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Kash With a K"||Charles McDougall||Mindy Kaling & Matt Warburton||July 31, 2019|
|2||"Hounslow"||Charles McDougall||Mindy Kaling & Tracey Wigfield||July 31, 2019|
|3||"We Broke"||Tristram Shapeero||Matt Warburton||July 31, 2019|
|4||"The Winner Takes It All"||Tristram Shapeero||Charles Schleicher||July 31, 2019|
|5||"Love, Chalet"||Catherine Morshead||Charlie Grandy||August 7, 2019|
|6||"Lights, Camera, Wedding"||Catherine Morshead||Lana Cho||August 14, 2019|
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 44% based on 32 reviews, with an average rating of 5.59/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Despite an impressive cast and crew, Four Weddings and a Funeral falls flat, relying too heavily on genre clichés to offer audiences anything more than just another mediocre romcom." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 48 out of 100, based on 17 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Hulu's Spring/Summer 2019 Programming Slate". The Futon Critic. April 12, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 21, 2018). "'Four Weddings And A Funeral': Andie MacDowell To Appear On Hulu Series, Nathalie Emmanuel To Star In Recasting". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 1, 2017). "'Four Weddings And a Funeral' Anthology Series From Mindy Kaling In Works At Hulu". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (May 2, 2018). "Hulu Picks Up Mindy Kaling's 'Four Weddings And A Funeral', Ramy Youssef Comedy To Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (May 2, 2018). "Hulu Orders Mindy Kaling's 'Four Weddings and a Funeral,' Ramy Youssef Comedy to Series". Variety. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Jarvey, Natalie (May 2, 2018). "Mindy Kaling's 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' Anthology a Go at Hulu". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (October 26, 2018). "'Four Weddings And A Funeral': Jessica Williams To Star In Hulu Series, 3 Others Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (December 7, 2018). "'Four Weddings And A Funeral': Tom Mison & Ashley Madekwe To Recur On Hulu Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- Cook, Laurence (November 12, 2018). "UK Greenlit: TV Adaptation of Four Weddings and a Funeral + More Projects Casting Now". Backstage. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- "Four Weddings and a Funeral – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- "Four Weddings and a Funeral : Season 1 (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved August 11, 2019.
- "Four Weddings and a Funeral: Season 1". Metacritic. CBS. Retrieved August 4, 2019.