Four Winds Casinos
|Headquarters||New Buffalo, Michigan, United States|
|Midwestern United States|
|Owner||Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians|
The Four Winds Casinos are a set of casinos located in Michigan, United States. The casinos are owned by the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians. The primary property is located in New Buffalo Township, with satellite locations in Hartford, and Dowagiac.
In 2007, as a federally recognized tribe, the Pokagon Band were able to develop and Four Winds New Buffalo on the Pokagon Reservation, in New Buffalo Township in accordance with the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act and a compact with Michigan. A second, satellite casino, Four Winds Hartford, opened on August 30, 2011, and a third, Four Winds Dowagiac, opened April 30, 2013.
The band has been limited to three casinos by its 2008 compact with the state of Michigan. The tribe is constructing a casino on lands that it claims qualify for gaming pursuant to specific provisions of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, near South Bend, Indiana. The tribe announced plans in 2012 to build a 164-acre "tribal village" in South Bend, Indiana, including housing, healthcare, and government facilities, and a casino and hotel.
Four Winds Casinos includes these properties:
|Four Winds Dowagiac||Dowagiac, Michigan||April 30, 2013|||
|Four Winds Hartford||Hartford, Michigan||August 30, 2011|||
|Four Winds New Buffalo||New Buffalo Township, Michigan||August 2, 2007|||
- "Four Winds Casinos - New Buffalo, Hartford and Dowagiac MI". fourwindscasino.com. Four Winds Casinos. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Lauren Viera (25 November 2007). "New Buffalo casino brings a crowd to Harbor Country". Chicago Tribune. Turtle Talk. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Tom Moor (1 July 2011). "Four Winds Casino expanding". South Bend Tribune. southbendtribune.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Lersten, Andrew (29 December 2011). "Pokagon hold 'em in Hartford Township". The Herald-Palladium. heraldpalladium.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Haight, Debra (15 June 2012). "Pokagons Get the Green Light for Dowagiac Casino". The Herald-Palladium. heraldpalladium.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Jones, Al (2013-04-30). "Four Winds Casino Dowagiac is Launched: What Do You Think?". MLive.com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Haight, Debra (2013-05-01). "Third Four Winds Casino Opens in Dowagiac". Harbor Country News. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Whittlesey, Dennis J. (9 May 2015). "Should There be a Legislative Solution to Disputed Indian Trust Applications?". The National Law Review. Dickinson Wright PLLC. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Pokagon tribe proposes casino in South Bend". Post-Tribune. Gary. AP. August 29, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-09.
- "W Club Casino Players Club". fourwindscasino.com. Four Winds Casinos. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- Lesar, Al (September 6, 2013). "Four Winds, Silver Hawks strike 10-year deal". South Bend Tribune. Retrieved 2015-07-13.