|Launched||18 December 2009|
|Owned by||The Walt Disney Company|
|Picture format||16:9 SDTV and HDTV|
|Audience share||2.7% (2017, )|
English (with Finnish subtitles)
|Formerly called||SuomiTV (until 15 April 2012)|
|Sister channel(s)||Fox HD|
|DNA||Channel 12 |
Channel 32 (HD)
Fox (formerly SuomiTV) is a Finnish entertainment TV channel owned and operated by The Walt Disney Company through its local subsidiary Fox Networks Group Oy (formerly Family Channel Oy and Fox International Channels Oy). The channel was acquired by FNG Nordic (then known as FIC Nordic) in January 2012, and then relaunched as its current incarnation on 16 April that year.
Fox is freely available in Finland both over-the-air and through cable, as it bases its funding on television advertisements. It is FNG Nordic's first channel that does not operate on subscriber fees.
As the channel was licensed as generalist channel, it was required to broadcast certain television programmes. As of 2018, Fox fulfilled such requirements by simulcasting Sky News (which was a fellow 21st Century Fox business until November 2018) overnight, and showing programmes aimed at children in mornings under Fox Kids programming block. Such requirements were later[when?] lifted.
Fox Networks Group Oy also operates the Finnish version of National Geographic television channel.
The channel provides a free catch up service through its online platform Fox Play.
FIC acquisition and relaunch as Fox
In January 2012, SuomiTV was purchased by FIC Nordic. SuomiTV was relaunched 4 months later on 16 April 2012 as Fox.
The channel features local content in Finnish language as well as international fiction, factual entertainment, movies and lifestyle programs with Finnish subtitles.
- 1000 Ways to Die
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- American Dad!
- Bob's Burgers
- The Cleveland Show
- Criminal Minds
- Family Guy
- How I Met Your Mother
- It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
- King of the Hill
- New Girl
- Rick and Morty
- Saturday Night Live
- Storage Wars
- The Walking Dead
- That '70s Show
- Top Gear
- The Simpsons
Also they have a weekend movie block called "Fox Leffat" where they showcase different distributors content.
SuomiTV had its own news department, but it was later phased out.
Until 2018, Fox simulcast Sky News during overnight hours.
This was the only outlet to revive the Fox Kids name, which was phased out most of the world. Initially, it utilised the Fox Kids' global logo and on-screen branding from early 2000s, but it was later replaced by another logo and look. The block ended on 6 January 2019.
The block offered foreign television programs aimed at a young audience dubbed into the Finnish language.
- Angelo Rules
- Biker Mice from Mars
- Glitter Force
- George of the Jungle
- Julius Jr.
- Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
- Paddington Bear
- Pound Puppies
- Make Way for Noddy
- Merlin the Magical Puppy
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Once Upon a Time... Planet Earth
- Once Upon a Time... Space
- The Adventures of Chuck and Friends
- The Smurfs
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- Ultimate Spider-Man
- Yo-kai Watch
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
- "Results From The TV Audience Measurement". Finnpanel. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Fox International Channels (FIC) Nordic Expands in Finland with the Acquisition of the Finnish Free-to-Air Channel Suomi TV". News Corporation. January 17, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "FOX International Channels (FIC) Nordic Launches FOX in Finland". Fox International Channels. March 15, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Fox aikoo tehdä SuomiTV:stä viihdekanavan" (in Finnish). YLE. January 19, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Sanoma to Operate Media Sales for Fox Networks Group in Finland" (Press release). Fox Networks Group Oy. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "Sanoma Media Finland alkaa hoitaa Fox Networksin kanavien mediamyyntiä Suomessa". Taloussanomat (in Finnish). 12 November 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2019. Taloussanomat is owned by Sanoma Media Finland
|This Finnish television-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|