Fox Sports World Canada
|Fox Sports World Canada|
|Launched||September 7, 2001|
|Closed||April 30, 2012|
|Owned by||Shaw Media|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
Although its original Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) licence called for Fox Sports World Canada to carry soccer, cricket and rugby as their core sports, cricket and rugby matches all but disappeared from the channel after the first few years. FSWC's flagship program was the Fox Soccer Report, which comprised most of its Canadian content.
On March 6, 2012, Shaw Media released a statement announcing that they would cease the broadcast of Fox Sports World Canada on midnight of April 30 of that year. The company had been examining the possibility of launching a mainstream sports channel in competition with TSN and Sportsnet, but ultimately decided against it. Shaw claimed the channel "no longer makes strategic and economic sense for Shaw Media going forward" in light of that decision. The channel officially shut down on April 30, 2012, while its license was officially revoked on April 19, 2016, nearly four years after the channel went off the air.
Fox Sports World Canada featured both live and taped events from the following leagues and competitions:
- Australia: A-League
- England: Premier League, FA Cup
- France: Ligue 1
- Italy: Serie A
- United States: United Soccer Leagues (USL) First Division (also from Canada and Puerto Rico), Major Indoor Soccer League, NCAA Men's Soccer, NCAA Women's Soccer & WPS
- CONMEBOL: Copa Libertadores
- Asia Contender
- Football Asia - Soccer highlights from around Asia
- Football Rivalries
- Fox Soccer Report - Flagship news show that featured highlights from all the major leagues in Europe, South America, MLS, International competitions and more.
- Hyundai A-League Highlights - Highlights from the Hyundai A-League.
- PGA Tour Highlights
- Serie-A Highlights - Highlights from Italy's Serie A.
- Sports Unlimited
- Sky Sports News - A feed taken directly from the UK channel of the same name.
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media[dead link]
- "Fox Sports World - Channel Removal". Shaw Communications. Retrieved 2013-09-02.
Last summer, Shaw Media decided not to pursue a mainstream sports channel. With this decision, keeping Fox Sports World as part of their portfolio no longer made strategic and economic sense.
- "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-142". Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
|This article about television in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|