A foxhound is a type of large hunting hound bred for strong hunting instincts, great energy, and, like all scent hounds, a keen sense of smell. In fox hunting, the foxhound's namesake, packs of foxhounds track quarry, followed—usually on horseback—by the hunters, sometimes for several miles at a stretch; moreover, foxhounds also sometimes guard sheep and houses.
There are different breeds of foxhound, each often called simply Foxhound in their native countries:
- American Foxhound
- English Foxhound
- Dumfriesshire Foxhound
- Black and Tan Virginia Foxhound
- Welsh Hound
The American Masters of Foxhounds Association recognizes these breeds of foxhounds: American, Penn-Marydel, English, and Crossbred foxhounds.
In 2005, the American Kennel Club reported that the English and American Foxhounds were their least and fourth least registered breeds in North America with 22 and 44 registrations, respectively; the top registered breed, the Labrador Retriever, had 137,867 registrations during the same year.
- Old Drum - said to have been the inspiration for the phrase "Man's Best Friend" which arose from an 1870 court case regarding him.
- Mountain and Muse - In 1814 the Duke of Leeds gave two Irish foxhounds, Mountain and Muse, to a visiting guest, Bolton Jackson. This famous pair of hounds changed hands several times before going to Charles Carroll at his Homewood estate. Descendants of Mountain and Muse still hunt territories in Maryland that were once hunted by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Charles Carroll and the Marquis de Lafayette.
- Colonel - In 2011 Baron von Pfetten's Colonel was Champion of the World Dog Show in Paris and was the first ever English foxhound invited to compete in the final Champion of Champions competition in Bruxelles that same year.
- American Kennel Club. "Registration Statistics".
- Coren, Stanley (2009-10-21). ""A Man's Best Friend is his Dog": The Senator, the Dog, and the Trial". Psychology Today. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- The Trial of Old Drum – New York Times Television Review – June 9, 2000
- I-70 in Missouri: Not just billboards and trucker-oriented porn – The Pitch – March 8, 2010
- Fine, Norman (2010). Foxhunting Adventures: Chasing the Story. Derrydale Press. pp. 24/30. ISBN 1461661390.
- Masters of Foxhounds Association of America, US
- Masters of Foxhounds Association, UK
- International Foxhound Association
- "Fox hound". Collier's New Encyclopedia. 1921.
- "Fox-hound". Encyclopedia Americana. 1920.
|This dog-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This hunting-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|