Foxton Inclined Plane Trust
The Foxton Inclined Plane Trust is a waterway society and a registered charity on the Grand Union Canal at Foxton, Leicestershire, England, UK. It was founded in 1980 to promote the restoration of the Victorian boat lift or inclined plane, a unique and famous piece of canal history.
It is campaigning for the full restoration of the boat lift, and it is a partner in the Foxton Locks Partnership, composed of British Waterways, the Inland Waterways Association, the Old Union Canals Society and local authorities.
The Foxton Locks Partnership has already obtained £ 1.78 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund for preliminary restoration works on the site, including:
- re-watering an arm of the canal
- dredging and repairing the bottom basin
- replacing a missing bridge over the Harborough Arm
- improving footpaths for better access to the 8 hectares (20 acres) site
The Foxton Inclined Plane was opened in 1900, refurbished between 1909 and 1910, and closed in 1911. It was demolished in 1928.
- Foxton Locks with information about Lock staircases, and a section on the Foxton Inclined Plane
- List of waterway societies in the United Kingdom
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Foxton Inclined Plane and Lock Staircase.|
- UK Parliament, House of Commons Select Committee on Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Memorandum submitted by the Foxton Inclined Plane Trust
- Harborough District Council listing for Foxton Inclined Plane Trust
- Harborough Mail: Inclined Plane Trust "Highly commended" in the Best Special Category for Leicestershire County Council Renaissance Heritage Awards
- Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £ 1.78 million for Inclined Plane
- British Waterways Press Release, 7 September 2005: Is Foxton Locks one of England's Seven Wonders?
- British Waterways' Leisure website "Waterscape" - entry for Foxton Inclined Plane Trust
- British Waterways Newsroom - Conservation of Foxton's famous Inclined Plane continues
- Inland Waterways Association page on the Inclined Plane and the Trust
- Community Archives - photo of the old inclined plane
- Foxton Inclined Plane Boat Lift description
- Foxton Inclined Plane Trust website
- Charity Commission. Foxton Inclined Plane Trust, registered charity no. 513241.