Whittaker with the Panthers in 2016
|No. 43 – Carolina Panthers|
February 2, 1989 |
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||202 lb (92 kg)|
|High school:||Pearland (TX)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Foswhitt Jer'ald "Fozzy" Whittaker (born February 2, 1989) is an American football running back and kick returner for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Texas. He is from Pearland, Texas.
San Diego Chargers
On March 12, 2013, Whittaker was claimed off waivers by the San Diego Chargers. On September 28, 2013, he was released by the Chargers.
On July 27, 2014, Whittaker was signed by the Carolina Panthers after an injury to Panthers rookie running back Tyler Gaffney that occurred the previous day. After a strong preseason showing, he made the initial 53-man roster, announced on August 30, 2014. On January 3, 2015, in the Wild Card round of the playoffs, Whittaker scored a crucial 39-yard, go-ahead touchdown in the third quarter against the Arizona Cardinals, helping the Panthers to a 27-16 victory which enabled them to advance to the divisional round of the playoffs. In Whittaker's second year with the team, The Panthers finished the season with a franchise-record 15 wins. In the first two rounds of the playoffs, the defeated the Seattle Seahawks and the Arizona Cardinals. On February 7, 2016, Whittaker was part of the Panthers team that played in Super Bowl 50.In the game, Whittaker had four carries for 26 yards, one catch for 14 yards, and two tackles on special teams, but the Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10.
In the 2016 season, Whittaker would appear in all 16 regular season games. He had 57 carries for 265 yards and 25 receptions for 226 yards.
On September 18, 2016, Whittaker ran for 100 yards on 16 carries against the San Francisco 49ers when Jonathan Stewart left in the first quarter with a hamstring injury. On October 2, He caught nine passes for 86 yards against the Atlanta Falcons.
On March 8, 2017, Whittaker signed a two-year contract extension.
- "Fozzy Whittaker". NFL.com. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- George, Brandon (September 10, 2008). "Texas Longhorns' Foswhitt Whittaker sparkles in debut". The Dallas Morning News. Dallas, Texas. Archived from the original on November 22, 2008. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Cardinals sign RB Whittaker to practice squad". arizonasports.com. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Urban, Darren (March 11, 2013). "Beanie Wells Released". azcardinals.com. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- Associated Press (September 30, 2013). "Browns waive RB Montario Hardesty, former 2nd-round pick plagued by injuries as pro". Fox News Channel. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Wayback Machine". web.archive.org.
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2 September 2017.
- "Super Bowl 50 - National Football League Game Summary" (PDF). NFL.com. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Keith, Connor (2016-09-18). "Fozzy Whittaker answers the call". Carolina Panthers. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- Weaver, Tim (2016-10-03). "The good, the bad and the ugly from Panthers' Week 4 loss". Panthers Wire. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- Strickland, Bryan (March 8, 2017). "Panthers re-sign Fozzy Whittaker". Panthers.com.
- Person, Joseph (2016-10-01). "Family instills Panthers RB Fozzy Whittaker with speed, faith, humility". charlotteobserver. Retrieved 2017-03-15.