Frédérique Ries (2010)
|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
20 July 2004
20 July 1999 – 11 February 2004
|Born||14 May 1959|
|Political party||Mouvement Réformateur (MR)|
Frédérique Ries (born 14 May 1959) is a Belgian politician and Member of the European Parliament for the French Community of Belgium with the MR/MCC/PRL, part of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe.
Early life and career
Ries graduated in Economics and mastered in Journalism at the University of Liège in 1981.
Ries worked as commercial director at Radio FM56 from 1981 to 1984. In 1984, she was hired at RTL (Radio Télévision Luxembourg) first in Luxembourg, as a producer and TV presenter from 1984 to 1987, then in Brussels where she edited and presented the news from 1987 to 1998.
In 1999, Ries joined the MR (PRL at the time) to become a candidate on the European elections list. Elected Member of the European Parliament since 1999, she has since been a member of the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety. In this capacity, she was the Parliament's rapporteur on a proposal to restrict cultivation of genetically modified organisms in 2014 and on the reduction of single-use plastics in 2018.
Ries served on the Subcommittee on Human Rights from 2004 until 2009 and on the Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality from 2009 until 2012. In 2019, she joined the Committee on Petitions. In addition to her committee assignments, she has been a member of the Parliament's delegation for relations with Israel since 1999. She is also a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on LGBT Rights, the European Parliament Intergroup on Seas, Rivers, Islands and Coastal Areas and the MEPs Against Cancer group.
Re-elected in June 2009 with more than 116,000 votes, she is the 5th French-speaking political personality through all political parties in Belgium.
In 2014, Ries supported Françoise Grossetête’s (unsuccessful) proposal to establish a European Parliament Intergroup on Health for Citizens, including stakeholders such as the European Cancer Patients Association and the Organisation for European Cancer Institutes.
- 1981-1984: Commercial director, Radio FM56
- 1984-1987: Producer and presenter, RTL-TV Luxembourg
- 1987-1998: Journalist, RTL-TVI (editing and presenting the news and other programmes on topical events)
- 1999-2004: Member of the European Parliament
- 2004: State Secretary for European Affairs and Foreign Affairs
- 2004-today: Member of the European Parliament
- Fondation EuroMedA, Member of the Board of Directors
- "Accueil | Israël | Délégations | Parlement européen". www.europarl.europa.eu (in French). Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- EFI Brussels (23 August 2012). "MEP Frederique Ries at European Friends of Israel launch gala event". Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Gil Shefler, 450 MPs from 37 European countries come to promote friendship with Israel, Jerusalem Post, 6 February 2011, accessed 19 October 2012
- Toby Vogel (11 September 2014), Committees choose rapporteurs European Voice.
- Bard Wilkinson (25 October 2018), European parliament backs single-use plastics ban CNN.
- Members European Parliament Intergroup on LGBTI Rights.
- Members 2019-2024 European Parliament Intergroup on Seas, Rivers, Islands and Coastal Areas.
- MAC MEPs in the 2019-24 legislature MEPs Against Cancer.
- Peter O’Donnell (6 November 2014), MEPs seek coherence on health policy European Voice.
- ALDE Group becomes Renew Europe Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE), press release of 18 June 2019.
- Board of Directors Fondation EuroMedA.