Místek town square
|2 towns merged||1943|
|• Mayor||Michal Pobucký|
|• Total||51.59 km2 (19.92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||291 m (955 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Frýdek-Místek (Czech pronunciation: [ˈfriːdɛk ˈmiːstɛk], Polish: Frydek-Mistek; German: Friede(c)k-Mistek) is a city in Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Republic. It is the administrative centre of Frýdek-Místek District. Frýdek-Místek is located at the confluence of two rivers Ostravice and Morávka in the foothills of the Beskyds near the Polish (25 km) and Slovakia (35 km) borders. The city history reaches back to the 13th century, when Gothic castle was established. On January 1, 1943 the Germans joined the up-until-then separate towns of Frýdek and Místek in a twin-town.
Nowadays, there are over 80 000 residents in Frýdek-Místek city including suburbs of separate municipalities (Staré Město, Sviadnov, Baška, Dobrá, Palkovice and other municipalities). In the last years, Frýdek-Místek and its surroundings have been going through dynamic development, and it is also thanks to the branches of world-known companies.
Around Frýdek-Místek several Korean companies can be found, including Hyundai, Mobis, Hanwha, Hysco, Dymos and others, the Dutch company Huisman - producer of lifting equipment, Biocel Paskov, which is part of the Austrian group Lenzing - producer of rayon fibres, Mayr Melnhof, the Belgian Vyncke, which designs and builds green and clean energy plants, or other companies like Borcad, Blanco, Novogear, Viroplastic, Motor Lučina, MPM Quality, T-Metal.
The food processing industry here has a long-term tradition led by brands such as Radegast brewery, Marlenka, Beskyds Fryčovice or Beskyds Smoked Meats of Chodura.
Winters are cold and cloudy; the days are short and snow precipitation is common. January's average temperature is about −5 °C (23 °F). Summers are usually warm, with plenty of rain. July's average temperature is about 18 °C (64 °F).
The highest temperature is: +35.9 °C (96.6 °F) The lowest temperature is: −34.8 °C (−30.6 °F)
Twin towns — Sister cities
Frýdek-Místek is twinned with:
- Petr Bezruč (1867–1958), Czech poet
- Benno Landsberger (1890–1968), German Assyriologist
- Óndra Łysohorsky (1905–1989), Czech (Lachian) poet
- Miloš Macourek (1926–2002), Czech poet and screenwriter
- Josef Mikoláš (1938–2015), Czech ice-hockey goaltender
- Jan Keller (b. 1955), Czech politician
- Ivana Chýlková (b. 1963), Czech actress
- Tomáš Galásek (b. 1973), Czech football player
- Ondřej Palát (b. 1991), professional hockey player
- Denise Milani (b. 1976), glamour model
The town square with a statue of Saint Florian
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- "Bielsko-Biała - Partner Cities". © 2008 Urzędu Miejskiego w Bielsku-Białej. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- Mysłowiceown Council (2011). "Mysłowice Partner Towns". myslowice.pl. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frýdek-Místek.|