Fr. Conceicao Rodrigues Institute of Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Love Your Neighbour as Yourself|
|Location||Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Father Conceicao Rodrigues Institute of Technology (FCRIT) is an engineering college affiliated to the University of Mumbai located in Navi Mumbai a satellite city to the metropolis of Mumbai in Maharashtra, India. The institute offers the B.Tech degree courses in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering and Information Technology. It is a part of the Father Agnel Ashram's family of educational institutions spread across India. It is, hence, also popularly known as the "Fr. Agnel's Engineering College, Vashi.".
Accreditation and affiliation
FCRIT is a private, un-aided,minority, non-autonomous institute affiliated to the University of Mumbai. It offers a four-year baccalaureate course culminating in the B.Tech degree conferred by the university. The institute has been graded "A" by the Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Maharashtra State. It is recognised by the AICTE and has received accreditation from the National Board of Accreditation(NBA), New Delhi.
FCRIT was established in 1994 as a part of the Agnel Technical Education Complex at Vashi, which itself was established in 1984. The institute is named after late Rev. Fr. Conceicao Rodrigues, who died in odor of sanctity.
The institute started in 1994 by offering four Bachelor of Engineering degree courses, each with a capacity of 60 students. The courses originally offered were Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering. In 2001, the Information Technology course with a capacity of 60 students was added to this suite.
The institute shares it name with many other educational institutions founded by the Agnel Ashram, most notably the Fr. Conceicao Rodrigues College of Engineering(FCRCE), which is also an engineering college affiliated to the University of Mumbai and is located at Bandra, Mumbai
FCRIT offers degree in the following courses(majors):
- Computer Engineering (Accredited)
- Mechanical Engineering (Accredited)
- Electrical Engineering (Accredited)
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (Accredited)
- Information Technology Engineering (Accredited)
FCRIT also offers Master of Engineering degree courses in the following streams:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Power Electronics and Drives)
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
The qualifications of the faculty ranges from Ph.Ds to graduates.
- Professors (PhD) - 06
- Asst Prof. (ME/MT) - 18
- Lecturers (BE/BT/BS)- 65
- Guest Lecturers - 02
The institute also encourages meritorious members of the faculty to complete their Masters and Doctorate degrees. Certain members of the faculty are involved in research projects as well and have published papers in international journals.
The admission process is highly competitive and is undertaken as per the directives of the Directorate of Technical Education(DTE), Maharashtra State.
For admission to the FCRIT, prospective candidates from the native state of Maharashtra need to pass their Higher Secondary (School) Certificate / Standard XII examination of the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education or its equivalent from CBSE or CISCE. All prospective candidates need to have had the subjects of English, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in their curriculum and should have obtained a minimum of 50% marks in the Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry) and Mathematics added together.
Prospective candidates from outside the state of Maharashtra can also apply provided they satisfy the required eligibility criteria.
Prospective students need to take the Maharashtra Engineering Common Entrance Test or MAH-EN-CET. The MAH-EN-CET consists of only one common exam that is divided into 3 sections - physics,chemistry and mathematics with 50 multiple choice questions in each. The total score in these sections taken together decides the merit list for the exam in a given year. The syllabus for preparing for the MAH-EN-CET is the same as the Physics,Chemistry and Mathematics syllabus prescribed by the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education for the Higher Secondary (School) Certificate / Standard XII examination conducted in the current academic year. This merit list is used as a differentiating factor for admissions to FCRIT.
The All India Engineering Entrance Examination or AIEEE held by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) under guidance of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (India) is also accepted as an alternative.
More information about the admissions procedures and updates can be found at the institute website 
|Type of Seat||Percentage of Seats||Remarks|
|Central Admission Process (CAP)||65%||Provision of reservation for Backward Class candidates belonging to Maharashtra State|
|AIEEE||15%||No reservation for Backward Class candidates|
|Management||20%||No reservation for Backward Class candidates|
FCRIT is housed in a four-storeyed building, a part of the academic block within the Agnel Technical Education Complex. This houses the lecture rooms, faculty centres and most of the laboratories. It is connected to the two storeyed computerised library at the centre of the academic block. It is one of the few campuses to boast of a WiFi network on campus and a Wireless Computer Laboratory. The campus also houses a workshop at a few minutes walk from the academic block. Other facilities available to the FCRIT students and faculty include cafetaria, football ground, basketball court, gymnasium, medical centre and the hostel facilities housed in the twin 7 storeyed hostel buildings in the campus.
An auditorium with a capacity of 2500 and an indoor sports facility (Maithreyi Hall) is proposed to come up opposite the academic block but is yet to be built.
The placement program starts in the month of June or July every year and students who have completed three years of the four-year course are eligible to register. The program spans more than year and runs through the final year of the course for a batch of students.
The institute claims to have a nearly 100% conversion ratio of eligible students to company offers. The placement activities are looked after by faculty placement officers and student coordinators. The central placement cell is located in the administrative block, south of the reception.
A list of recent recruiters is also available on the institute's website.
Members of the Board and their brief background:
- Dr. Mohanbhai Patel - Chairman, Ex. Chairman AICTE New Delhi (WR) - Ex. Sheriff of Mumbai
- Fr. Bento Rodrigues – Member, Superior - Fr. Agnel Ashram, Bandra, Mumbai
- Fr. Francis Diniz - Member, Managing Director - Agnel Technical Education Complex, Bandra, Mumbai
- Fr. Saturnino Almeida - Member, Managing Director - Agnel Technical Education Complex, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Fr. Russel - Member, Principal - Fr. Agnel Multipurpose School & Jr. College, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- G.G. Chabbra - Member, Academic Advisor, I/c Principal - Agnel Polytechnic, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Prakash Vaithilingam – Special Invitee, Director - Fr. C. Rodrigues Institute of Management, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Dr. Rollin Fernandes – Member - Secretary and Collector of pens, Principal- Fr. C. Rodrigues Institute of Technology, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Barrister Shri Deepchand C. Gardi – Member, Industrialist & Philanthropist
- R.S. Kenkre – Member, Ex-Director - Board of Apprenticeship training, Mumbai
- Sandeep Singhal - Member, Regional Officer (WR), AICTE
- Dr. A. G. Kothari - Member, AICTE Nominee - Visvesvaraya Regional College of Engineering, Nagpur
- Prof. Ramanath V. Gavankar - Member, Nominee of University of Mumbai
- Prof. N. B. Pasalkar - Member, Director of Technical Education, Maharashtra State
- J. Rangachari – Member, Ex. Industrialist
- Student Council (FACES, Etamax)
- IEEE Student Chapter
- CSI Student Chapter
- IETE-ETSA (Extacy, Oscillations)
- MESA & ISHRAE & SAE
- GENESIS (Aura 07, Ascension 08)
- Social Cell (Gand Carnival 07, Blood Donation campaign, Asangaon Children's Home)
Extra Curricular Events
FCRIT holds an annual inter college festival in the even semester called 'Etamax'. A 3-day event modelled along the lines of festivals held by various famous colleges, Etamax comprises a series of technical and non technical workshops, designed to enhance students' understanding of practical concepts in Engineering.
FCRIT also has an intra-college cultural and sports festival called 'FACES' held in the odd semesters.
- Fr. Conceicao Rodrigues Institute of Technology (FCRIT), Vashi
- FCRIT Alumni Association
- University of Mumbai - official website
- Directorate of Technical Education, Maharashtra State
- All India Council for Technical Education
- National Board of Accreditation
- Fr. Conceicao Rodrigues College of Engineering (FCRCE), Bandra