|Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
for West Belfast
26 November 2003
|Preceded by||Alex Maskey|
19 June 1953 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Political party||Sinn Féin|
|Website||Fra McCann MLA|
Fra McCann (born 19 June 1953) is an Irish politician. McCann became active in the Irish republican movement and during the 1970s was jailed on a number of occasions. In 1987, he was elected to Belfast City Council in a by-election, representing Sinn Féin.
In June 2006 McCann was charged with assault and disorderly behaviour following an incident in west Belfast. The incident occurred as the PSNI were attempting to arrest a teenager for attempted robbery. However, McCann claimed heavy-handedness by the police and stated "I tried to put myself between one of the officers and the girl when the police officer radioed for assistance." McCann was released on bail.
- Profile, niassembly.gov.uk; accessed 5 March 2017.
- 1987 by-election
- Fra McCann MLA West Belfast, sinnfeinonline.com; accessed 5 March 2017.
- Sinn Féin politicians, village.ie; accessed 5 March 2017.
- Report of McCann's arrest in June 2006, bbc.co.uk; accessed 5 March 2017.
- The wrong sort of involvement in policing, sluggerotoole.com; accessed 5 March 2017.
|Northern Ireland Assembly|
|MLA for Belfast West