Francis, Count of Vendôme
|François de Bourbon|
François de Bourbon, comte de Vendôme
|Died||30 October 1495
|Spouse(s)||Marie de Luxembourg|
|Father||John II, Count of Vendôme|
|Mother||Isabelle de Beauveau|
François de Bourbon (1470 – 30 October 1495) was a French prince. He was the Count of Vendôme.
He was the son of John II, Count of Vendôme, and Isabelle de Beauveau. As a legitimate member of the Capetian dynasty, he ranked in France as a prince du sang. At his father's death when he was seven, he became Count of Vendôme. During his minority, his estates were administered by his uncle Louis le Joyeuse.
In 1487, he married Marie de Luxembourg, the widow of Jacques of Savoy, Count of Romont. She brought great estates as her dowry, including the countships of Saint-Pol-sur-Ternoise and Soissons in Picardy.
They had six children:
- Charles de Bourbon, Duke of Vendôme (1489–1537), Duke of Vendôme
- Jacques (1490–1491)
- François (1491–1545), Count of Saint Pol and of Chaumont, Duke of Estouteville
- Louis (1493–1557), Cardinal de Bourbon, Archbishop of Sens
- Antoinette de Bourbon (1493–1583), married Claude, Duke of Guise, grandparents of Mary Queen of Scots
- Louise (1495–1575), Abbess of Fontevraud
Also by Isabeau de Grigny;
- Jacques de Bourbon
He died at the age of 25 in Vercelli, Italy, and was succeeded by his son Charles IV de Bourbon. His widow administered the family's estates during Charles' minority.
|Ancestors of Francis, Count of Vendôme|
François' patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son.
Patrilineal descent is the principle behind membership in royal houses, as it can be traced back through the generations - which means that if Count François were to choose an historically accurate house name it would be Robertian, as all his male-line ancestors have been of that house.
François' patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son. It follows the Kings of France and the Counts of Paris and Worms. This line can be traced back more than 1,200 years from Robert of Hesbaye to the present day, through Kings of France & Navarre, Spain and Two-Sicilies, Dukes of Parma and Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg, Princes of Orléans and Emperors of Brazil. It is one of the oldest in Europe.
- Achaintre, Nicolas Louis, Histoire généalogique et chronologique de la maison royale de Bourbon,Vol.1, (Rue de L'École de Médecine, 1825), 362.
- Achaintre, 366.
- Sandret, Louis, Revue nobiliaire historique et biographique, Vol.10, (Libraire Societes des Antiquaires de France, 1875), 488.
- Achaintre, Nicolas Louis, Histoire généalogique et chronologique de la maison royale de Bourbon,Vol.1, Rue de L'ecole de Medecine, 1825.
- Sandret, Louis, Revue nobiliaire historique et biographique, Vol.10, Libraire Societes des Antiquaires de France, 1875.
Francis, Count of VendômeBorn: 1470 Died: 30 October 1495
|Count of Vendôme
Charles IV de Bourbon