Chau in 2008
October 26, 1959|
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
François Chau (born October 26, 1959) is a Cambodian American actor. He is known for his roles as Dr. Pierre Chang in ABC's Lost, Dr. Chang in the film 21 & Over and, since 2015, as industrialist Jules-Pierre Mao, a recurring character in Syfy's The Expanse.
Chau was born in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, of Chinese and Vietnamese descent. When he was roughly 6 years old he and his family moved to Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City). At the age of 7, Chau moved from Saigon to France due to the Vietnam War and after a year moved to Washington, D.C., United States. It was there that Chau and his family lived and where Chau was schooled.
Chau has had a number of diverse roles, playing Chinese, Japanese and even Hmong characters, most notably as Dr. Martin Ng in the American sci-fi series Gemini Division, and as Dr. Pierre Chang in 17 episodes of ABC's Lost.
Chau has also taken on a number of smaller TV roles. He has appeared as Koo Yin, a Chinese consul in the drama 24 and a Chinese diplomat in Stargate SG-1. He was the voice of Quick Kick on G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Dr. Shen in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Lieutenant Winston 'Vagabond' Chang in the Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV video games.
He was also featured in Chris Brown's music video Fine China, the 2013 film 21 & Over, the television film 9/11: The Twin Towers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, where he physically played The Shredder.
His latest projects have included a Syfy production, The Expanse, starring as recurring character Jules-Pierre Mao, father of main character Julie Mao, and a recurring role as Arthur's step-father Walter on The Tick. He has also appeared in the Disney Channel spy action comedy, K.C. Undercover, where he plays Zane, an evil villain who kidnaps K.C. and threatens to kill her family due to a checkered history with them.
Awards and nominations
- 2011 Ovation Awards: Nominated for Featured Actor in a Play for the role of Dr. Heng in the Geffen Playhouse production of "Extraordinary Chambers"
- François Chau on IMDb
- "François Chau".
- "Interview with Chau". Retrieved 11 September 2013 – via YouTube.
- "Interview with Chau on AA Risings". Archived from the original on 2008-03-28.
- Gemini Division on IMDb
- "Pierre Chang". Lost.about.com. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Watch: Chris Brown's new song 'Fine China' is Michael Jackson meeting racial conflict: Watch". Immaculate Noise. Hitfix Music. 1 April 2013. Archived from the original on 4 April 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Kiss Me Kate Tops 2011 Ovation Award Nominations". 19 September 2011.