François Olivennes grew up in Paris. He is the son of psychiatrist and child psychoanalyst Maria Landau, and psychiatrist turned poet Armand Olivennes. He is the eldest of three. Both of his younger brothers, Denis Olivennes and Frédéric Olivennes work in the French media industry.
François Olivennes graduated from French Medical school in 1985. In 1992, he became medical director in the public hospital IVF units of the Béclère Hospital in Clamart until 2002 when he left for the Cochin hospital in Paris. He has a PhD in Biology of Reproduction and was appointed as Professor in Biology of Reproduction in 2000. He has been an invited speaker in more than 150 international meetings.
In 2006, he left the public hospital system and opened a private practice in Paris' 17th arrondissement. He is also the general team coordinator at the IVF center Eylau la Muette,.
He is the author or co-author of more than 150 scientific papers published in peer-reviewed journals. He was a member of the executive committee of ESHRE and has been on the editorial board of Fertility and Sterility and RBM online.
He has participated as author or publisher in several books in the field of Assisted Reproductive Technology. His books for the general public include:
- N’attendez pas trop longtemps pour faire un enfant (Don't wait too long to have a child), with Laurence Beauvillard. Odile Jacob (2010)
- Tout ce qu’il faut savoir avant une grossesse (Everything you need to know before getting pregnant), with Laurence Beauvillard. Marabout (2011)
- Tout ce que les femmes ont toujours voulu savoir sur le sexe et ont osé demander (Everything women always wanted to know about sex and finally dared to ask), with Sophie Bramly. Fayard (2012)
- Faire un enfant au 21ème siècle (Having a child in the 21st century), Groupe Flammarion (2013)
Olivennes has three children, Hannah (born 1988), Joseph (born 1991), and George (born 2000), with his former wife, British actress Kristin Scott Thomas. He currently lives in Paris.
- Olivennes, Pr. François. "Pr. François Olivennes on about.me". About.me. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Institutionnel - FranceTV Pro – Pressrooms du groupe France Télévisions". Francetelevisions.fr. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Laboratoire Eylau - Analyse médicale - Paris Neuilly". Laboratoire-eylau.fr. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-08-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Olivennes, François; Beauvillard, Laurence (13 March 2008). "N'attendez pas trop longtemps pour avoir un enfant". Odile Jacob. Retrieved 7 January 2018 – via Google Books.
- Olivennes, Professeur François; Beauvillard, Laurence (21 September 2011). "Tout ce que qu'il faut savoir avant une grossesse". Marabout. Retrieved 7 January 2018 – via Amazon.
- Olivennes, François; Bramly, Sophie (30 May 2012). "Tout ce que les femmes ont toujours voulu savoir sur le sexe... et enfin osé demander". Fayard. Retrieved 7 January 2018 – via Google Books.
- Olivennes, François; Lasterade, Julie (15 February 2013). "Faire un enfant au XXIe siècle". Flammarion. Retrieved 7 January 2018 – via Amazon.
- "AAIHP - Les AIHP à l'honneur". Aaihp.fr. Retrieved 7 January 2018.