François Van der Elst
Van der Elst in 1977
|Full name||François Van der Elst|
|Date of birth||1 December 1954|
|Place of birth||Opwijk, Belgium|
|Date of death||11 January 2017(aged 62)|
|Place of death||Aalst, Belgium|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|1980–1981||New York Cosmos||43||(12)|
|1981–1983||West Ham United||62||(14)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
From 1969 to 1980 Van der Elst played for R.S.C. Anderlecht, with which he would go on to total 82 Belgian Pro League goals, surpassing 100 overall. In 1976 he was part of the 1975–76 European Cup Winners' Cup-winning squad, netting twice in the final against West Ham United (4–2) and, in the following season's league, was crowned the competition's top scorer at 21 goals, as the Brussels side finished in second position.
In January 1982, after a brief United States spell with the New York Cosmos, Van der Elst signed with West Ham United for £400,000, proceeding to score 17 times in 70 overall appearances. He finished his career back home, with K.S.C. Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen.
Van der Elst gained 44 caps and netted 14 goals for Belgium, helping the nation to the second place in the UEFA Euro 1980 tournament. He was part of the squad that competed at the 1982 FIFA World Cup, playing the second halves of the 1–0 win over El Salvador for the first group stage (in Elche) and the 0–3 loss to Poland for the second group phase (Barcelona).
On 1 January 2017 he suffered heart failure and was placed in an induced coma in intensive care. On 11 January 2017 reports emerged that at 3:00 am that morning Van der Elst had died from a cardiac arrest while still hospitalized.
- Belgian Pro League: 1971–72, 1973–74
- Belgian Cup: 1971–72, 1972–73, 1974–75, 1975–76
- UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1975–76, 1977–78
- UEFA Super Cup: 1976, 1978
- New York Cosmos
- Scholten, Berend (11 January 2017). "Belgium mourns François Van der Elst". UEFA.
- "Francois Van der Elst". West Ham Stats. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Hardie, Valerie (3 January 2017). "François Van der Elst in kunstmatige coma na hartaanval op nieuwjaarsdag".
- "L'ex-Diable rouge François Van Der Elst est décédé à l'âge de 62 ans" (in French). lesoir.be. 11 January 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Ex-international François 'Swat' Van der Elst overleden" (in Dutch). nieuwsblad.be. 11 January 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2017.