|Born||12 August 1952
|Institutions||Observatoire de Paris|
|Alma mater||École Normale Supérieure, Paris Diderot University|
|Notable awards||CNRS Silver medal|
Françoise Combes was elected professor at Collège de France, chair "Galaxies & cosmology" in 2014.
From 1971 to 1975 she studied at the École Normale Supérieure. She obtained the "Agrégation" in Physics in 1975 and a PhD from Paris Diderot University, with a thesis on the "Dynamics and structure of galaxies".
Her research works are about galaxy formation and evolution, in a cosmological context : galaxy dynamics, their spiral structure, the role of bars and interactions between Galaxies, studied both through multi-wavelength observations and by numerical simulations. She published extensively on the interstellar medium of galaxies, in particular the molecular gas which gives birth to new stars, in nearby galaxies such as Andromeda, as well as high redshift systems.
To understand the dynamics and formation of galaxies, details on the nature and behavior of dark matter in the Universe are critical. Françoise Combes has contributed to various models of dark matter, and is also interested on alternative solutions, such as modified gravity. In addition she has developed with Daniel Pfenniger a model to account for a large fraction of the dark baryons, which have not yet been identified, under the form of cold molecular gas.
- 2015: Officer of the French Legion of Honour 
- 2013: R.M. Petrie Prize of the Canadian Astronomical Society
- 2013: Honorary Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society
- 2012: Prix des Trois Physiciens, ENS
- 2009: Officer of the National Order of Merit
- 2009: Member of the Academia Europaea
- 2003: Honorary Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, 2013
- 2009: Tycho Brahe Prize of the European Astronomical Society
- 2006: Knight of the French Legion of Honour
- 2004: Member of the French Academy of Sciences 
- 2001: Silver Medal of the CNRS
- 1986: IBM physics prize
- « Françoise Combes », sur Collège de France, novembre 2014
- "http://www.legiondhonneur.fr/sites/default/files/lh_20150405.pdf" (PDF) (in French). Retrieved 2015-04-05.
-  Petrie Prize, Canada
-  Honorary Fellow Royal Astroomical Society
-  Prix des Trois Physiciens
- Academia Europaea
-  Honorary Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society
-  Tycho Brahe Prize
-  Her page in Académie
-  Médaille d'argent CNRS
- La Voie Lactée, 2013, (EdP-Sciences), F. Combes & J. Lequeux
- Mysteries of Galaxy Formation (2010), (Springer), F. Combes
- Galaxies et Cosmologie (2009), (Ellipses), F. Combes, M. Haywood, S. Collin, F. Durret, B. Guiderdoni
- A. Aspect, R. Balian, G. Bastard, J.P. Bouchaud, B. Cabane, F. Combes, T. Encrenaz, S. Fauve, A. Fert, M. Fink, A. Georges, J.F. Joanny, D. Kaplan, D. Le Bihan, P. Léna, H. Le Treut, J-P Poirier, J. Prost et J.L. Puget, Demain la physique, (Odile Jacob, 2009)
- Mystères de la formation des galaxies (2008), (Dunod), F. Combes
- The Cold Universe (2003), (Springer), A. Blain, F. Combes, B. Draine
- Galaxies et Cosmologie (1991), (Inter-Sciences, CNRS), P. Boissé, A. Mazure et A. Blanchard
- Galaxies and Cosmology (1995), (Springer), P. Boissé, A. Mazure et A. Blanchard, (réédité en 2002)