Franc Kangler (born 8 July 1965) is a Slovenian politician. He has served as the mayor of Maribor, the second largest town in the country. On 6 December 2012, due to protests, he has stepped down from the position, and left the office on 31 December 2012.
Education and private life
Kangler was born in Maribor, and attended elementary school in Duplek. He continued his studies at the Secondary Police School in Tacen. After that he obtained a first degree in law and is at the moment completing university studies in law at the Faculty of Law at the University of Maribor. He is married and has a daughter.
National politics career
He was an employee of the Ministry of Interior of Slovenia. In 1995, he became Secretary of the Municipality of Duplek. In 1996, he was elected as a Deputy to the National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia for the first time. Currently he is serving his third term of office in that capacity.
Franc Kangler has been a member of the national Commission for the Supervision of the Security and Intelligence Services for ten years. He has also been one of the three members of the Slovenian delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly for ten years. He actively participated in several NATO Assemblies, including the ones in Paris, Copenhagen, Orlando, Ottawa, Warsaw, and Prague, as well as in North Atlantic Assemblies in Luxembourg, Ohrid, Bucharest, and Barcelona.
He is Chairman of the Traffic Committee and a member of the Committee on Domestic Policy of the National Assembly. In 2002 he was elected Maribor City Councillor. He is Chairman of the Local Government Commission. He is also President of the Intermunicipal Football Association of Maribor. In addition to that, he is a member of the governing boards of two Maribor institutions: the Firefighting Division and the Slovene National Theatre in Maribor.
Mayor of Maribor
Franc Kangler became the mayor of Maribor for the first time after winning the elections in December 2006, and again in October 2010 when he was re-elected. He won his second mayoral term in the first round and secured a strong coalition in the City Council.
Corruption and scandals
Franc Kangler has been involved in several scandals during the mayoral career, mostly accusing him of corruption and clientelism. Currently, he is facing ten pre-trial or criminal charges due to different reasons.
In November 2012, The Commission for Prevention of Corruption of the Republic of Slovenia was investigating the case of the public company Farmadent and concluded that Kangler acted in a corrupt manner at the expense of public costs and public companies. One of his projects, the implementation of the stationary radar system in Maribor, under public-private partnership with the company Iskra Sistemi is still under the investigation.
Due to corruption allegations, pre-trial processes and criminal charges made against him, the citizens of Maribor, Slovenia demanded his resignation in two separated November's and one December's protest under the slogan Gotof je! (literally meaning He is done! in Styrian dialect). He stepped down on 6 December 2012, with his mandate lasting until 31 December 2012. At the same time, he applied for a seat in the National Council of Slovenia. On 12 December 2012, the office commission refused his candidacy.
In December 2012, newspaper Dnevnik published article regarding Kangler's degree from Business College Doba (Slovene: Visoka poslovna šola Doba), where he graduated in April 2008. Dnevnik exposed that his thesis is plagiarized from articles, published in journal Lex localis. On 30 January 2013 Senate of College revoked his degree due to plagiarism.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Franc Kangler.|
- "Informal Meeting of Agriculture Ministers". eu2008.si. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Župan Franc Kangler - mariborski šerif" (in Slovenian). svet24.si. 27 November 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Jan Tomše, Alma M. Sedlar (28 November 2012). "Toti grešni Franca" (in Slovenian). Siol. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "3. mariborska vstaja na ulice zvabila okoli 10.000 protestnikov" [The 3rd Maribor Uprising Lures About 10,000 Protesters to Streets]. Prlekija-on.net. 3 December 2012.
- Rubin, Miha (6 December 2012). "Kangler uradno odstopil: mandat bo končal 31. decembra" [Kangler Officially Steps Down: He Will End his Mandate on 31 December]. Delo.si.
- "Foto: Kangler ni postal državni svetnik, gre na ustavno sodišče" [Photo: Kanger Has not Become a State Councillor: He Goes to the Constitutional Court]. MMC RTV Slovenija. RTV Slovenija. 12 December 2012.
- "Diplomant Franc Kangler je kopiral od začetka do konca" [Graduate Franc Kangler plagiarized from start to finish]. Dnevnik.si. Dnevnik.si. 14 December 2012.
- "Francu Kanglerju odvzeli strokovni naziv diplomirani ekonomist". Delo.si. Delo.si. 30 January 2013.