The relations started after the Federation of Malaya achieved independence on 1957, although the first Malayan ambassador to France only arrived in Paris on 1959. During the administration of Jacques Chirac and Mahathir Mohamad, the relations significantly improved especially in economics, politics and culturally aspects.
Many French companies has started investment in Malaysia mainly in technology sectors. Currently Malaysia has been consider by France as the second largest economic partner in ASEAN and there are 260 French companies operating which are ready to support all projects to turn Malaysia to become a fully developed country by 2020.
Education and culture
Since 1960s, the French government has provided grants and scholarships to Malaysian students to study in France especially on science and technical fields. While in Malaysia, around 100 French students go to Malaysia every year to study.
France are one of Malaysia's main military partners in the supply of military equipment and defence services. Since the 1990s, both countries have striven to consolidate defense relations, and many French military industries have begun to establish co-operation with their Malaysian partners. One example is the French naval shipbuilding company, the DCNS. In 2002, two Malaysian submarines were built in France and Spanish shipyards which were then delivered to Malaysia in 2009 and early 2010. Other French companies have also been actively taking part on the Langkawi International Maritime and Air Show (LIMA) and in DSA exhibitions. Initially, the French-Malaysian defense relationship was based on large military programmes of arms procurement.
- Christoph Marcinkowski; Constance Chevallier-Govers; Ruhanas Harun (2011). Malaysia and the European Union: Perspectives for the Twenty-first Century. LIT Verlag Münster. pp. 34–. ISBN 978-3-643-80085-5.
- Zuhrin Azam Ahmad (30 July 2013). "Malaysia continues to draw French investors". The Star. Retrieved 29 December 2013.[dead link]
- "Malaysia, France expand links to new areas". Vietnam Plus. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Franco Malaysian bilateral relations". Embassy of France in Kuala Lumpur. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- Nik Imran Abdullah (6 November 2012). "France, Norway offer to sell arms MOVE TO ENHANCE TRADE RELATIONS: Nations keen to provide Malaysia with jet-fighters, copters and missiles". New Straits Times. Archived from the original on 31 December 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- Towards better Malaysia–France relations Diplomatic Notes, Yusof Hashim
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|