Frances Ward (priest)
|The Very Reverend
|Dean of St Edmundsbury|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich|
|In office||2010 to present|
16 September 1959 |
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
|Education||The King's School, Ely|
Early life and education
Ward was born on 16 September 1959 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. She educated at The King's School, Ely. She studied at the University of St Andrews and the University of Manchester. From 1987 to 1989, she trained for Holy Orders at Westcott House, Cambridge, an Anglican theological college in the Liberal Catholic tradition.
She was ordained deacon in 1989 and priest in 1994. She was then a tutor at Northern College until 1998 and then Vicar of St Peter’s Bury until 2005. She was a residentiary canon at Bradford Cathedral until her current appointment.
On 30 May 2010, it was announced that Ward would be the next Dean of St Edmundsbury in succession to Neil Collings. In October 2010, she was installed as Dean at St Edmundsbury Cathedral. In July 2017, it was announced that she would be stepping down as Dean later in the year and would be returning to academia to complete a second doctorate.
Among other books she has written:
- Lifelong Learning (2005)
- Studying Local Churches (2005)
- Theological Reflection Methods (2005)
- Theological Reflection Sources (2007)
- Why Rousseau Was Wrong: Christianity and the Secular Soul (2013)
- UK Directors
- 'WARD, Very Rev. Frances Elizabeth Fearn', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 4 July 2017
- "Frances Elizabeth Fearn Ward". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 5 July 2017. (subscription required)
- Crockfords (London, Church House, 1995) ISBN 0-7151-8088-6
- Northern College website
- Saint Peter's Church, Bury Website
- Association of English Cathedrals
- St Edmundsbury Cathedral website
- "A New Dean of St Edmundsbury". St Edmundsbury Cathedral. 30 May 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "The first female dean at St Edmundsbury Cathedral". BBC News. 19 October 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "New Role for Dean Frances". St Edmundsbury Cathedral. 2 July 2017. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Manchester Group’s conclusions on women bishops: further responses". Church Times. 21 May 2008. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- British Library website accessed 11 July 2012.; also