|Date of birth||16 May 1882|
|Place of birth||Riposto, Italy|
|Date of death||3 September 1949(aged 67)|
|Place of death||Genoa, Italy|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Francesco Calì (16 May 1882 in Riposto – 3 September 1949 in Genoa) was a Swiss and later Italian professional football player and coach, who played as a defender. He captained the Italy national football team in their first ever match, in 1910.
Born in Italy, Calì moved to Switzerland at a young age and played several games as a left-back for the Switzerland national football team, and with Swiss club Zürich. Later he moved back to Italy, where he played for two rival Genovese teams: Genoa and Andrea Doria. Due to his experience as a footballer, as well as his knowledge of several foreign languages, he was selected as team captain for Italy's first ever game, on 15 May 1910, in Milan, against France, which saw the Italians win 6–2.
After his retirement he became a coach. Under his management, Juventus F.C. won the Coppa Città di Torino, which was an important trophy at the time in 1902. After that, on several occasions he was a member of the technical commission managing the Italy national football team, in total he managed the national team for 13 games with 6 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses.
- Enrico Bronzo (6 January 2011). "Calì divenne capitano della nazionale perché conosceva le lingue straniere" (in Italian). Il Sole 24 Ore. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Franz Calì: il primo capitano raccontato in un libro" [Franz Calì: the first captain recounted in a book] (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Enrico Bronzo (6 December 2011). "La maglia azzurra compie 100 anni. La storia di Francesco Calì, il primo capitano" [The Azzurri shirt turns 100. The story of Francesco Calì, the first captain] (in Italian). Il Sole 24 Ore. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Momenti di gloria: Debutta la Nazionale Italia - Francia 6-2" (in Italian). FIGC. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Francesco Calì at National-Football-Teams.com
|This biographical article related to association football in Italy, about a defender born in the 1880s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|