||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Francesco Carrozzini (born September 9, 1982) is an Italian-born and Emmy-Award-nominated film director, music video director, television commercial director and photographer currently based in Los Angeles.
Carrozzini was born in Monza, Italy. The son of Franca Sozzani, Italian Vogue's editor-in-chief, he grew up surrounded by actors, musicians and artists. He also spent time on set with photographers Bruce Weber and Peter Lindbergh. Influenced by this very creative environment, he began taking pictures and making short films with friends in his early teens. In the summer of 1999, he relocated to Los Angeles to study film at the University of California, Los Angeles. He later returned to Italy to study philosophy at the University of Milan before moving to New York City in 2004.
Carrozzini is known for his narrative and cinematic approach to portraiture; he has photographed a diverse range of contemporary pop culture icons that includes actors Angelina Jolie, Robert De Niro, Cate Blanchett, and Scarlett Johansson; models Naomi Campbell, Heidi Klum, Linda Evangelista, Milla Jovovich, Stephanie Seymour and Tyra Banks; musicians Beyoncé, Lana Del Rey, Sting, Keith Richards, Kanye West, Jay-Z, and Nicki Minaj, as well as artists Jeff Koons, Richard Prince, Andres Serrano, and Marina Abramović.
Additionally, he has also worked with political figures; among them, former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, acting United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Carrozzini's images have appeared on the covers and in the pages of: Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, W, Rolling Stone, L'Uomo Vogue, Vogue Italia and Pop, among others. His advertising client list includes Estee Lauder, Biotherm, Sony Music, Mini Cooper, Roberto Cavalli, Emporio Armani, Salvatore Ferragamo, DKNY, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, Baume & Mercier and Chopard.
Carrozzini's first major film job came at age 19 when he directed a 30-second spot for Italian MTV. In 2005, advertising agency McCann Ericsson assigned him the creation of a promo for the Venice Biennale. In 2006, he traveled to Poland to shoot a documentary about the life and creative process of the Polish Theatre Wierszalin. Later that year, he was commissioned to direct a series of films for The New York Times which became known as “The New York Times Screen Tests,” a collection of intimate video interviews featuring a variety of entertainment figures that included Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, and Marion Cotillard. The series was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award in 2008 and grew to include dozens of other "screen tests" produced in the following years, still retaining the original format designed by Carrozzini.
Also in 2008, he directed the short film "1937", a psychological thriller shot in Suite #822 of the infamous Chelsea Hotel, which competed at the Venice Film Festival. In the years since, he has directed commercials for clients such as Tommy Hilfiger, DKNY, Fiat 500 and Ray Ban. In 2009, his viral short for Ray Ban's "Never Hide" campaign received a Young Director Award nomination at the Cannes Lion International Festival of Creativity.
Carrozzini's first feature length film, a documentary about his mother Franca Sozzani, will premiere in Fall 2016. He also has another feature project in development.
|2015||Marilyn Manson, "The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles"|
|2015||Sia, "Fire Meet Gasoline"|
|2014||Singtank, "Coming Down"|
|2014||Nicki Minaj, "The Pinkprint Movie (Part II: I Lied)"|
|2014||Damien Marley, "Is It Worth It? (Gunman World)"|
|2014||Lenny Kravitz, "New York City"|
|2014||Lana Del Rey, "Ultraviolence" |
|2013||A$AP Rocky: "Phoenix"|
|2016||"Franca: Chaos and Creation"||Feature documentary about the life of Franca Sozzani (Premiering Fall 2016)|
|2009||"The Divine Jane: Reflections on Austen"||Short documentary for The Morgan Museum and Library, New York|
|2008||“Don't Blink!”||Art film starring Linda Evangelista, Jeu de Paume Museum, Paris|
|2008||“The New York Times Screentests”||Emmy Award-nominated series for The New York Times|
|2008||“1937”||International Venice Film Festival, Short Film Competition|
|2007||"Wierszalin”||Official Selection, International Locarno Film Festival|
|2015||Janis: Little Girl Blue||Director: Amy J. Berg|
- September 2015: Solo photography and film exhibition, "Music", Earth Gallery, Paris
- May 2015: Solo photography exhibition, "Portraits", Istanbul'74 Arts Festival, Istanbul
- January 2012: L'Uomo Vogue cover shots included in Sotheby's charity auction celebrating the magazine, Paris
- May 2010: Solo photography exhibition, "Portraits", Diane Von Furstenberg Gallery, New York
- May 2007: Solo photography exhibition, "Unique Exposure", Galleria Cardi, Milan
- March 2004: Video installation "Pause", Duomo Cathedral, Milan
- In April of 2016, Italian brewing company Peroni announced Carrozzini's appointment as Creative Director for the US debut of their internationally acclaimed "House of Peroni", a multifaceted experience bridging design, fashion, film and art worlds that will premiere in September 2016 during New York Fashion Week.
- Carrozzini also provides creative direction to the Connect4Climate program, a global initiative launched by the World Bank and the Italian Ministry of Environment to take on the challenge of climate change by promoting solutions and empowering people to act.
- In February of 2016, Carrozzini and his team received an award from Global Green acknowledging the achievements for work done at Connect4Climate.
- Featured in "Sincerely, LA", a short film by Hugo Boss highlighting the unique spirit and culture of Los Angeles.
Vanity Fair Best Dressed
- In September 2013, Carrozzini was included on Vanity Fair's International Best Dressed List.
- Heidi Klum by Francesco Carrozzini
- Linda Evangelista by Francesco Carrozzini
- Milla Jovovich by Francesco Carrozzini
- Lana Del Rey by Francesco Carrozzini
- Keith Richards by Francesco Carrozzini
- Andres Serrano by Francesco Carrozzini
- James Franco and Marina Abromović by Francesco Carrozzini
- Ban Ki-Moon by Francesco Carrozzini
- Michael Bloomberg by Francesco Carrozzini
- "Wierszalin by Francesco Carrozzini". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "NYTimes.com/TMagazine - Screen Tests". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Natalie Portman - New York Times by Francesco Carrozzini". YouTube. 2008-02-03. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- The New York Times Screen Tests
- Franca: Chaos and Creation
- "Francesco Carrozzini - IMVDb". imvdb.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Francesco Carrozzini". francescocarrozzini.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Francesco Carrozzini". francescocarrozzini.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Getting into Character: “Francesco Carrozzini: Portraits”". vanityfair.com. Retrieved 09 August 2015. Check date values in:
- "Francesco Carrozzini "Unique Exposure"". artnews.org. Retrieved 22 Oct 2014.
- "PERONI NASTRO AZZURRO Announces Francesco Carrozzini as Creative Director for ‘House of Peroni’". tipsydiaries.com. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Sincerely, LA". youtube.com. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "EAU DE NUIT - The new fragrance by Giorgio Armani". facebook.com. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "The 2013 International Best Dressed Poll". vanityfair.com. Retrieved 10 May 2015.