Francesco Gullino (or Giullino) (born 31 May 1945, Bra, Piedmont) is a Dane of Italian origin who was named in June 2005 by The Times as the prime suspect in the 1978 "Bulgarian umbrella" murder of Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov. He was born in Bra, Italy and was known by the code name "Piccadilly".
According to Bulgarian journalist Hristo Hristov, Gullino was an occasional smuggler arrested twice in Bulgaria and given the choice of going to prison or becoming a secret agent in the West. Based in Copenhagen with a cover as an art dealer, Gullino was supposedly active until 1990 and received two Bulgarian state medals “for services to security and public order”. He was briefly detained in 1993 and questioned by the British and Danish police in Copenhagen and, according to Hristov, then dropped out of sight.
A British documentary, The Umbrella Assassin (2006), interviewed people connected with the case in Bulgaria, Britain and the United States, and revealed that Gullino is alive and well.
- Hamilton, Jack; Walker, Tom (5 June 2005). "Dane named as umbrella killer". London: Times Online. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Kelly, Tom (2013-03-13). "Did this man kill Cold War spy Georgi Markov with umbrella? 35 years on, prime suspect revealed as ex-Communist agent now working as antiques dealer in Austria". Home News. Daily Mail online. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- Hristov, Hristo (2008), The Double Life of Agent Piccadilly [in Bulgarian]
- "Programmes: All". Five.tv. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- "The Markov Case", The Economist, 4 September 2008.
- Brunwasser, Matthew (2008), “A Book Peels Back Some Layers of a Cold War Mystery”, The New York Times, 10 September 2008.
- Richard H Cummings, Finding Francesco Gullino, aka Agent 'Piccadilly' (2013) https://www.thehistoryherald.com/Articles/European-History/Cold-War-History/finding-francesco-gullino-aka-agent-piccadilly
|This Danish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|