Francesco III d'Este, Duke of Modena
|Duke of Modena|
|Reign||26 October 1737 – 22 February 1780|
|Born||2 July 1698
Ducal Palace of Modena
|Died||22 February 1780
Palazzo Estense, Varese
|Spouse||Charlotte Aglaé d'Orléans|
|Maria Teresa Felicitas, Duchess of Penthièvre
Ercole III, Duke of Modena
Maria Fortunata, Princess of Conti
Benedetto Filippo, Abbot of Anchin
|Father||Rinaldo d'Este, Duke of Modena|
|Mother||Charlotte of Brunswick-Lüneburg|
During his reign, the duchy was bankrupted by the Wars of the Spanish, Polish, and Austrian Successions. As a result, Francesco was forced to sell the most precious artworks of the Estense Gallery. He was a careful administrator but most of the duchy's financial policy was in the hands of the Austrian plenipotentiary, Beltrame Cristiani.
Francesco also was the interim Governor of the Duchy of Milan between 1754 and 1771.
Family and children
In 1721, he married Charlotte Aglaé d'Orléans (1700–1761), a daughter of Philippe d'Orléans, Duke of Orléans and Françoise Marie de Bourbon (illegitimate daughter of Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan) and had ten children.
After his first wife's death, he remarried twice more morganatically to Teresa Castelbarco and Renata Teresa d'Harrach. His granddaughter Maria Beatrice d'Este, Duchess of Massa was the last of the Este of Modena.
- Alfonso d'Este (18 November 1723 – 16 June 1725) died in infancy.
- Francesco Constantino d'Este (22 November 1724 – 16 June 1725) died in infancy.
- Maria Teresa Felicitas d'Este (6 October 1726 – 30 April 1754) married Louis Jean Marie de Bourbon and had issue.
- Ercole III d'Este, Duke of Modena (22 November 1727 – 14 October 1803) married Maria Teresa Cybo-Malaspina, Duchess of Massa and had issue.
- Matilde d'Este (7 February 1729 – 14 November 1803) died unmarried.
- Beatrice d'Este (14 July 1730 – 12 July 1731) died in infancy.
- Beatrice d'Este (24 November 1731 – 3 April 1736) died in infancy.
- Maria Fortunata d'Este (24 November 1731 – 21 September 1803) married Louis François de Bourbon, Prince of Conti, no issue.
- Benedetto Filippo d'Este (30 September 1736 – 16 September 1751) died unmarried.
- Maria Elisabetta Ernestina d'Este (12 February 1741 – 4 August 1774) married Carlo Salomone, Count of Serravalle and had issue. Direct ancestors of Sergio E. M. Salomone Montes de Oca, current Count of Serravalle, Vintebbio and Bornate.
Francesco III d'Este, Duke of ModenaBorn: 2 July 1698 Died: 22 February 1780
|Duke of Modena and Reggio
Gian Luca Pallavicini
|Governors of the Duchy of Milan
Archduke Ferdinand of Austria-Este