Francis Aidan Gasquet
Francis Aidan Gasquet,
|Vatican Librarian and Archivist of the Holy Roman Church|
|Ordination||19 December 1874 (Priest)|
|Created cardinal||Cardinal deacon 25 May 1914; elevated to Cardinal priest 18 December 1924|
|Rank||Cardinal deacon of San Giorgio in Velabro (1914–1915); Cardinal deacon, later Cardinal priest, of Santa Maria in Portico (1915–1929)|
|Birth name||Francis Neil Gasquet|
|Born||5 October 1846|
26 Euston Place, Somers Town, London, England
|Died||5 April 1929 (aged 82)|
Palazzo San Callisto, Rome, Italy
|Buried||Downside Abbey, Stratton-on-the-Fosse, Somerset, England|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Parents||Raymond Gasquet and Mary Apollonia Gasquet (née Kay)|
Gasquet was the third of six children of Raymond Gasquet, a physician whose French naval officer father had emigrated to England during the British evacuation of Toulon in 1793. His mother was a Yorkshirewoman. He was born at 26 Euston Place, Somers Town, London.
Educated at Downside School, he entered the Benedictines in 1865 at Belmont Priory. He moved to Downside Abbey where he was professed and, on 19 December 1871, ordained a priest. From 1878 to 1885 he was prior of Downside Abbey, resigning because of ill health.
Upon his recovery he became a member of the Pontifical Commission to study the validity of the Anglican ordinations (1896) leading to Apostolicae curae, to which his historical contribution was major. In 1900, he became abbot president of the English Benedictines. He was President of the Pontifical Commission for Revision of the Vulgate, 1907. He also authored the major history of the Venerable English College at Rome.
He died in Rome.
As a historian
Gasquet's historical work has been attacked by later writers. Geoffrey Elton wrote of "the falsehoods purveyed by Cardinal Gasquet and Hilaire Belloc". His collaboration with Edmund Bishop has been described as "an alliance between scholarship exquisite and deplorable". A polemical campaign by G. G. Coulton against Gasquet was largely successful in discrediting his works in academic eyes. One of his books contained an appendix "A Rough List of Misstatements and Blunders in Cardinal Gasquet's Writings.
David Knowles wrote a reasoned piece of apologetics on Gasquet's history in 1956, Cardinal Gasquet as an Historian. In it he speaks of Gasquet's "many errors and failings", and notes that he "was not an intellectually humble man and he showed little insight into his own limitations of knowledge and training". Coulton, though, he felt was in error, through over-simplifying the case.
Eamon Duffy said in an interview:
|“||...Cardinal Francis Aidan Gasquet, a great Benedictine historian, was both a bad workman and not entirely scrupulous about what he said. So you can be a churchman and a lousy historian.||”|
- The Old English Bible and Other Essays, John C. Nimmo, 1897.
- Henry VIII and the English Monasteries, John Hodges, 1888.
- Edward VI and the Book of Common Prayer, John Hodges, 1890 (with Edmund Bishop).
- The Eve of the Reformation, G. Bell & Sons, 1923 [1st Pub. 1900].
- Parish Life in Mediæval England, Methuen & Co., 1922 [1st Pub. 1905].
- The Greater Abbeys of England, Chatto & Windus, 1908. (illustrated by Warwick Goble)
- The Last Abbot of Glastonbury and Other Essays, George Bell & Sons, 1908.
- The Black Death of 1348 and 1349, George Bell & Sons, 1908.
- A History of the Venerable English College, Rome, Longmans, Green & Co., 1920.
- Monastic Life in the Middle Ages, G. Bell & Sons, 1922.
- His Holiness Pope Pius XI, Daniel O'Connor, 1922.
- The Religious Life of King Henry VI, G. Bell & Sons, 1923.
- "Roger Bacon and the Latin Vulgate." In: A.G. Little (ed.), Roger Bacon Essays. Oxford: At the Clarendon Press, 1914.
- William M. Cunningham, The Unfolding of the Little Flower, with a Preface by Cardinal Gasquet. London: Kingscote Press, 1916.
- Father Stanislaus, Life of the Viscountess De Bonnault D'Houet, with an Introduction by Cardinal Gasquet. London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1916.
- "Francis Gasquet - Oxford Dictionary of National Biography". Archived from the original on 17 September 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Gasquet, Right Rev. Francis Aidan". Who's Who. Vol. 59. 1907. pp. 662–663.
- "Gasquet, Raymond (1789 - 1856)". Plarr's Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Knowles, Dom David (1963). "Cardinal Gasquet as an Historian". The Historian and Character: And Other Essays. Cambridge University Press. p. 249. ISBN 9780521088411. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Roberts, Sir Howard; Godfrey, Walter H, eds. (1952). Survey of London: King's Cross Neighbourhood - The Parish of St. Pancras Part IV (PDF). London County Council. p. 90. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Elton, Geoffrey Rudolph (2002). The Practice of History. Oxford; Malden, Mass.: Blackwell, p. 96.
- Christopher Nugent Lawrence Brooke et al. A History of the University of Cambridge: University to 1546 (1988), p. 420.
- Nicholson, Ernest Wilson (2003). A Century of Theological and Religious Studies in Britain. Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 172.
- Coulton, G.G. (1915). "A Rough List of Misstatements and Blunders in Cardinal Gasquet's Writings." In: Medieval Studies. London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co.
- Reprinted in David Knowles, The Historian and Character, and Other Essays. Cambridge University Press, 1963, pp. 240–263.
- Knowles (1963), pp. 261–2.
- "Confronting the Church's Past: An Interview with Eamon Duffy," Commonweal, Vol. 127, No. 1, January 2000.
- "Review: The Greater Abbeys of England by Abbot Gasquet". The Athenaeum. No. 4208. 20 June 1908. pp. 767–768.
- Bellenger, Dominic Aidan (2004). "Gasquet, Francis Neil (1846–1929)." In: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press.
- Benson, Robert Hugh (1914). "Cardinal Gasquet," The Dublin Review, Vol. CLV, pp. 125–130.
- Escourt, R. (1921). "The Work of Cardinal Gasquet in the Field of Pre-Reformation History," The American Catholic Quarterly Review, Vol. XLVI, No. 183, pp. 353–371.
- Grange, A. M. (1894). "Dom Gasquet as a Historian," The American Catholic Quarterly Review, Vol. XIX, No. 75, pp. 449–464.
- Guilday, Peter (1922). "Francis Aidan Cardinal Gasquet," The Catholic World, Vol. CXV, pp. 210–216.
- Leslie, Shane (1953). Cardinal Gasquet, A Memoir. London: Burns, Oates.
- Knowles, David (1957). Cardinal Gasquet as an Historian. London: University of London, Athlone Press.
- Jacob, E. F., Lewis Bernstein Namier, Theodore Frank Thomas Plucknett, Hugh Hale Bellot, W. K. Hancock, David Knowles, and John Goronwy Edwards (1952). The Creighton Lectures, 1951–57. London: University of London, Athlone Press.
- Schaff-Herzog entry
- Catholic Hierarchy entry
- Works by Francis Aidan Gasquet at Project Gutenberg
- Works by Francis Aidan Gasquet at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Works by or about Francis Aidan Gasquet at Internet Archive
- Francis Aidan Gasquet at Library of Congress Authorities, with 50 catalogue records
|Catholic Church titles|
Francesco di Paola Cassetta
| Archivist of the Holy Roman Church
28 November 1917 – 5 April 1929
| Vatican Librarian
9 May 1919 – 5 April 1929