13 May 1918|
Hove, East Sussex
|Died||17 October 2001(aged 83)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge
Rothamsted Experimental Station
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Known for||Analysis of residuals
Francis John "Frank" Anscombe (13 May 1918 – 17 October 2001) was an English statistician.
Born in Hove in England, Anscombe was educated at Trinity College at Cambridge University. After serving in the Second World War, he joined Rothamsted Experimental Station for two years before returning to Cambridge as a lecturer.
In experiments, Anscombe emphasized randomization in both the design and analysis phases. In the design phase, Anscombe argued that the experimenters should randomize the labels of blocks. In the analysis phase, Anscombe argued that the randomization plan should guide the analysis of data; Anscombe's approach has influenced John Nelder and R. A. Bailey in particular.
According to David Cox, his best-known work may be his 1961 account of formal properties of residuals in linear regression. His earlier suggestion for a variance-stabilizing transformation for Poisson data is often known as the Anscombe transform.
He later became interested in statistical computing, and stressed that "a computer should make both calculations and graphs", and illustrated the importance of graphing data with four data sets now known as Anscombe's quartet. He later published a textbook on statistical computing in APL.
- Anscombe, F. J. (1948). "The Validity of Comparative Experiments". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A (General) 111 (3): 181–211. doi:10.2307/2984159. JSTOR 2984159. MR 30181.
- Caliński, Tadeusz and Kageyama, Sanpei (2000). Block designs: A Randomization approach, Volume I: Analysis. Lecture Notes in Statistics 150. New York: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 0-387-98578-6. MR 1781064.
- Saxon, Wolfgang (25 October 2001). "Francis John Anscombe, 83, Mathematician and Professor". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Cox, D.R. (2003). "Frank Anscombe". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series D 52 (4): 679. doi:10.1046/j.0039-0526.2003.02064.x.
- Anscombe, F.J.; Tukey, J.W. (1963). "The Examination and Analysis of Residuals". Technometrics (Technometrics, Vol. 5, No. 2) 5 (2): 141–160. doi:10.2307/1266059. JSTOR 1266059.
- Anscombe, F.J. (1948). "The Transformation of Poisson, Binomial and Negative-Binomial Data". Biometrika 35 (3–4): 246–254. doi:10.1093/biomet/35.3-4.246.
- Anscombe, F.J. (1973). "Graphs in Statistical Analysis". The American Statistician (The American Statistician, Vol. 27, No. 1) 27 (1): 17–21. doi:10.2307/2682899. JSTOR 2682899.
- Anscombe, F.J. (1981). Computing in Statistical Science through APL. New York: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-90549-9.
- "Anscombe, Aumann: A Definition of Subjective Probability".
- "Noted statistician Francis J. Anscombe dies". Yale Bulletin & Calendar 30 (9). 2001-11-02.