Bevans was Principal of New Inn Hall, Oxford in 1585-6, and Principal of Jesus College from 1586 to 1602. He was also chancellor to Herbert Westfaling, Bishop of Hereford, and so spent much of his time as Principal in Hereford. In his absence, Griffith Powell (who was to become Principal himself in 1613) effectively ran the college during much of the time that Bevan was Principal. Bevans died in 1602, the same year as Westfaling.
- Baker, J. N. L. (1954). The Victoria History of the County of Oxford Volume III - The University of Oxford. The University of London Institute of Historical Research. p. 278.
- "Bevans, Francis (BVNS581F)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Le Neve, John; Hardy, Thomas Duffus (1854). Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae: Or A Calendar of the Principal Ecclesiastical Dignitaries in England .. (Google Books web search). p. 575.
- Bell, Nancy (1999). "Conservation of the College Charters". The Jesus College Record: 58.
- Baker, J. N. L. (1971). Jesus College 1571-1971. Oxford: Oxonian Press Ltd. p. 13. ISBN 0-9502164-0-2.
|This biography of an English academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|