Francis G. Rayer
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (April 2015)|
He admired the writing of Olaf Stapledon, author of influential works of science fiction.
As a writer, he might be best known for his series, Magnus Mensis, which was published in New Worlds from 1950 to 1961. Rayer was largely associated with the John Carnell era of New Worlds science fiction magazine. Rayer sometimes published under the pseudonyms of Chester Delray and George Longdon. His work was largely criticized by New Wave science fiction writers.
From about 1960, he specialized in nonfiction and when Michael Moorcock became editor of New Worlds Rayer largely switched to nonfiction writing. Rayer's fiction has since mostly fallen out of popularity.
As a technical journalist, he specialized in radio and electronics and designed electronic equipment. Rayer wrote many articles for the British magazine Practical Wireless.
He held an amateur radio licence ( G30GR ), and wrote technical books and numerous articles under the name F.G. Rayer. Rayer often provided illustrations and diagrams for these.
Rayer was able to buy a cottage from his writing, married a teacher named Elizabeth, and had two children. He also learned Esperanto. He died 11 July 1981 at Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire.
- AMATEUR RADIO - Arco Publications, London (1967) Available at Archive.org
- Beginner's guide to amateur radio
- Projects in Amateur Radio and Short Wave Listening (1981)
- The Pegasus Book of Radio Experiments (1968)
- Repair of domestic electrical appliances (1961)
- Beginner's Guide to Amateur Radio - with John Earl
- 50 (FET) Field Effect Transistor Projects (1977)
- How to Build Your Own Metal and Treasure Locators (1978)
- Realm of the Alien (1946, as Chester Delray)
- Deus ex Machina (1950)
- Tomorrow sometimes comes (1951)
- Cardinal of the Stars
- Coming of the Darakua (1952) novel
- Earth Our New Eden (1952)
- We Cast No Shadow (1952) novel
- The Star Seekers (1953) collection
- Sands Our Abode (1959)
- Alien (1959)
- Adjustment Period (1960)
- Capsid (1962)
- Aqueduct (1963)
- The Iron and the Anger (1964) novel