Francis Hopkinson House
Francis Hopkinson House
Francis Hopkinson House in 2017
|Location||101 Farnsworth Avenue (CR 545), Bordentown, New Jersey|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||71000496|
|Added to NRHP||July 17, 1971|
|Designated NHL||July 17, 1971|
The Francis Hopkinson House is an historic home in Bordentown, Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, where Francis Hopkinson and his wife Ann Borden lived from 1774 until his death in 1791.
Francis Hopkinson designed the first official flag of the United States. He created a Stars and Stripes flag with seven white stripes and six red ones for the United States and a Stars and Stripes flag with seven red stripes and six white ones for the Navy (the basis for the current U.S. flag).
During the American Revolution, Hopkinson designed Continental currency, departmental seals, and most of the elements in the Great Seal of the United States. He later served as a federal judge in Pennsylvania.
It is currently a law office.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Francis Hopkinson House". National Historic Landmark Quicklinks. National Park Service. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- Snell, Charles W. (February 4, 1971). "Francis Hopkinson House" (pdf). National Register of Historic Places - Inventory Nomination Form. National Park Service. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Williams, Jr., Earl P. (October 2012). "Did Francis Hopkinson Design Two Flags?" (PDF). NAVA News (216): 7–9. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- Hastings, George E. (1926). The Life and Works of Francis Hopkinson. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp. 70–71.
- Williams, Jr., Earl P. (Spring 1988). "The 'Fancy Work' of Francis Hopkinson: Did He Design the Stars and Stripes?". Prologue: Quarterly of the National Archives. 20 (1): 44–48.
- Williams, Jr., Earl P. (June 14, 1996). "A Civil Servant Designed Our National Banner: The Unsung Legacy of Francis Hopkinson". The New Constellation (newsletter of the National Flag Foundation). Special Edition #7: 5.
- Bordentown tour
- Flag Guys Hopkinson page
- Media related to Francis Hopkinson House (Bordentown, New Jersey) at Wikimedia Commons
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NJ-64, "Francis Hopkinson House, Park Street & Farnsworth Avenue, Bordentown, Burlington County, NJ", 3 photos, 16 measured drawings, 4 data pages, supplemental material
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|