Francis John McConnell
McConnell was a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University and the Boston University School of Theology. He was an ordained minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years, serving among other places a large church in Brooklyn, New York.
Before election to the episcopacy, McConnell served as the president of DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana, 1909-1912. During his presidency he led the university's first major fund drive, the Campaign for the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Fund, which produced a total subscription of $550,546.
McConnell is best known for his quote "We need a type of patriotism that recognizes the virtues of those who are opposed to us".
- Mcconnell, Bishop Francis; Report On The Steel Strike Of 1919 full text at Questia Online Library
McConnell, Bishop Francis John, "The Christlike God", A survey of the Divine Attributes from the Christian Point of View, copyright 1927 by the author, first edition printed March 1927, The Abingdon Press, New York and Cincinnati.
- Presidents of DePauw University
- Francis John McConnell quotes
- Francis John McConnell papers at DePauw University
- Works by Francis John McConnell at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Francis John McConnell at Internet Archive
|This article about a Methodist bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|