||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||The examples and perspective in this article may not include all significant viewpoints. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tolentino in 2015
|Chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority|
July 27, 2010 – October 7, 2015
|President||Benigno Aquino III|
|Preceded by||Oscar Inocentes|
|Succeeded by||Emerson Carlos|
|Mayor of Tagaytay|
June 30, 1995 – June 30, 2004
|Succeeded by||Abraham Tolentino|
January 3, 1960 |
Guinobatan, Albay, Philippines
|Political party||People's Reform Party (2015-present)
Liberal Party(Until 2015)
Francis N. Tolentino (born January 3, 1960) is a Filipino politician who was best known for being the ninth chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) from 2010 to 2015. He ran for the senatorial post in the 2016 elections as an independent candidate and supported the presidential bid of Rodrigo Duterte. Tolentino lost because he was at the 13th place of the Senate election in 2016.
Francis Tolentino was born and raised in Guinobatan, Albay, Philippines, to parents Isaac and Elena Tolentino. Isaac, who died on July 2016, was a former Mayor of Tagaytay. Her niece named Thea, best known as actress and singer. He studied elementary school in Tagaytay and for some time in Pasay and Mandaluyong. He pursued his secondary education in Lourdes School of Mandaluyong. He also attended the Far East Military Academy for a year.
He also earned a Master of National Security Administration (MNSA) from the National Defense College of the Philippines and a Graduate Diploma in Public Administration from the Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, New York University.
Tolentino was first appointed to the post of OIC Mayor of Tagaytay from 1986 to 1987 by former President Corazon Aquino, following the People Power Revolution. He ran unopposed in the 1995 elections as Mayor of Tagaytay and served for nine years from January 1995 to 2004.
Under his mayoral administration, he created the Tagaytay Office of Public Safety, which later became the basis of policies he put into force as chair of the MMDA. He also initialized the Character First programs which encourages governments, government leaders, civic organizations and religious organizations to band together to establish a "city" or "community" of character with a character traits of a Filipino every month.
Metro Manila chairman
On July 27, 2010, Tolentino was appointed by President Benigno Aquino III as the ninth chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA). He is the first and only non-resident of Metro Manila to be appointed to the post.
Last August 2013, Tolentino, as the MMDA Chairman, launched the first Metro Manila Integrated Bus Terminal known as the Southwest Integrated Provincial Transport Terminal (SWIPTT).
On September 19, 2013, Tolentino signed Metro Manila Outdoor Media Magna Carta along with various advertising groups, setting the terms for regulating outdoor advertisements in Metro Manila. Among the terms in the 15-page agreement were a 216 square meter limitation on all outdoor signs and structures, with 30 percent of the space of ground level ads allotted "for landscape works or vertical gardens." Prior to the signing of the document, no limit had been placed on the size of advertisements, such that a number of billboards as big as 1,000 square meters had been allowed. The document provided a nine-month grace period for advertisers to be able to comply.
To address the traffic situation in Metro Manila and to offer transportation alternative to the public, Tolentino relaunched the Pasig River Ferry System last April 2014, in coordination with the Pasig River Rehabilitation Commission and Department of Transportation and Communications. 
As chair of the MMDA, Tolentino is also designated by Metro Manila Commission Executive Order No. 86-09 as chair of the annual Metro Manila Film Festival, in which capacity Tolentino introduced a number of changes, including the introduction of new contest categories and the removal of box office receipts from the criteria for the selection of best picture starting from the 2010 edition.
On September 29, 2015, Tolentino speaks at the Cavite Provincial Capitol as he will run for Senator for the upcoming 2016 Elections supposedly under the Liberal Party, few days later Tolentino believes that he sent girlgroup Play Girls during the Liberal Party convention in Santa Cruz in Laguna, a move that became controversial due to performance from the girl group which was viewed obscene by critics.
|2015||41st Metro Manila Film Festival||Plaque of Appreciation||N/A||Won|
- "Former Tagaytay mayor is new MMDA chief". ABS-CBN News. 27 July 2010. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- "MMDA chief Tolentino running for senator". Rappler. 2015-09-29. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Duterte endorses Tolentino's Senate bid". ABS-CBN News. November 8, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Corrales, Nestor (July 6, 2016). "Duterte visits wake of ex-Tagaytay mayor". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- "About Francis Tolentino | Francis Tolentino Para sa Pilipino". Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Get to Know the Chairman". Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Southwest Integrated Provincial Transport Terminal (SWIPTT)". Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- Calleja, Niña (20 September 2013). "New billboard pact:Giants out, 'green' in". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "MMDA to resume Pasig River ferry service April 28". motioncars. INQUIRER.net. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Pasig River ferry system: More stations, Android app soon". Rappler. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- Carballo, Bibsy (26 November 2012). "A close look at MMFF's New Wave". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- Valisno, Jeffrey (22 November 2010). "MMDA chief scraps box office standing when determining film fest Best Picture". Agimat. Anino Design. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "'Playgirls were asked to dress sexier'". ABS-CBN News. 3 October 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- Smith, Chuck. "Winners: 2015 Metro Manila Film Festival awards night". Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
|Chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority
2010 – 2015