|Born||April 14, 1967|
|Died||April 23, 2015(aged 48)|
|Area(s)||comic book artist, illustrator, conceptual artist, author|
In 1998, Francis Tsai joined Presto Studios as Conceptual Designer where he provided visual development and game design for the video games Myst 3, and Star Trek: Hidden Evil. In 2003, Tsai joined High Moon Studios where he was principal concept artist for the video games The Bourne Conspiracy and Darkwatch.
Tsai had illustrated cards for the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game.
Tsai provided interior artwork for Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology as well as covers and interior artwork for the serialized graphic novel Mercy Thompson: Homecoming, which reached number eight on the Comics Bestsellers list in October 2009. In a generally favorable review of the novel, Martha Cornog wrote, "Francis Tsai's and Amelia Woo's painted art, especially their beautiful wolf depictions, make this all visually believable." Tsai also created interiors for trade paperback Impaler.
Dungeons & Dragons
Tsai provided interior artwork for a number of Dungeons & Dragons manuals for Wizards of the Coast, including Sharn: City of Towers, Monster Manual III, d20 Future, Races of Eberron, Lost Empires of Faerûn, Explorer's Handbook, Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and Truename Magic, Power of Faerûn, and d20 Future Tech. Tsai created the artwork for the Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition Dungeon Masters Screen.
Tsai provided visual development in the TV and film industries contributing concept artwork for Motion Theory's Gatorade "Inside Crosby" and Lenovo Thinkpad "Rollcage" commercials as well as the film TMNT - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Tsai worked on Tracker, a miniseries from Top Cow Productions and Heroes and Villains Entertainment about an FBI agent who has contracted a virus that turns him into a werewolf.
Books and magazines
Francis Tsai wrote and illustrated the book Fantasy Art Academy: 100 Ways to Paint the Coolest Fantasy Figures for F&W Publications and recently released another book Extreme Worlds in November 2009.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
In 2010, at the age of 42, Tsai was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. The disease cost him the ability to move his arms and hands; he had not held a pencil since early 2011. He discovered he could digitally paint on his iPhone with his right big toe while holding the iPhone with his left foot. Once he lost the ability to move his feet, Tsai began using the PC Eye from Tobii in conjunction with a Kiosk Tablet to communicate. By early 2012, Tsai began creating art again using the eye-gaze technology with drawing programs Sketchup and Photoshop. His eye-gaze art had been featured in the media including CNN and computer art magazine ImagineFX (August 2013).
- Heroes for Hire #11, 14, 15 (2007, covers)
- World War Hulk Gamma Corps #4 (2007, cover)
- Exiles #1 (March 2008, cover)
- Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #35 (March 2008, cover)
- Marvel Adventures Iron Man #11 (May 2008, cover)
- Marvel Comics Presents vol. 2 #3, 6 (2008, inks only)
- Marvel Comics Presents vol. 2 #4, 7-12 (2008 pencils and inks)
- Impaler vol. 1 (2008, interiors and color)
- Mercy Thompson: Homecoming vols. 1 and 2 (2008, covers and interiors)
- Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology (2009 pencils and inks)
- Tracker (2010, Art)
- Machine Flesh
- Fantasy Art Now: The Very Best in Contemporary Fantasy Art and Illustration
- 50 Robots to Draw and Paint: Create Fantastic Robot Characters for Comic Books, Computer Games, and Graphic Novels
- How to Draw Fantasy Females
- Fantasy: Illustrated Fantasy and Sci-Fi Magazine
- Erotic Fantasy Art
- Francis Tsai on Facebook
- Parker, Charley (2007-04-11). "Francis Tsai". Linesandcolors.com. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- Kauffman, Jeremiah; Philip Jong (October 2000). "Francis Tsai: Interview". Adventure Classic Gaming. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- Crawford, Rowan (1999-11-22). "Under Cover: Francis Tsai". Loony Games 2 (3). Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Top Cow & HVE Team to Create "Tracker"". Comic Book Resources. June 26, 2009. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Francis Tsai at the Grand Comics Database
- Phegley, Kiel (2008-06-23). "Marvel Artists on the Cutting Edge". Marvel.com. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Secret Identities Available April 15 Press Release". 2009-03-18. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- Schwartz, Neil (2008-09-29). "Mercy Thompson: Homecoming Preview". Dabel Brothers Publishing. Archived from the original on May 1, 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- Reid, Calvin (2009-10-12). "Comics Bestsellers", Publishers Weekly 256 (41): 14.
- Cornog, Martha (2010-01-15). "Graphic Novels", Library Journal 135 (1): 80.
- "Top Cow releases "Impaler" TPB". 2008-08-26. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "IMDB". Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- Published & Gold Award – “The Train Station” by Francis Tsai
- Published & Bronze Award – “Devils Alley” by Francis Tsai
- Published & Certificate of Merit – “Sunlight” by Francis Tsai
- Published & Certificate of Merit - "Bourne Shootout" by Francis Tsai
- Gallaga, Omar (November 2, 2013). "Visions made real". Austin American-Statesman.
- Melrose, Kevin (April 24, 2015). "Artist Francis Tsai passes away". Comic Book Resources.
- Top Cow Releasing Tracker on November 11th