In 1852 he invented and patented the paper bag-making machine. In 1869 he and his brother founded a paper bag-making company called Union Paper Bag Machine Company in Savannah. His company generated $4 million income in one year. Currently his company is under the ownership of International Paper.
- Desmids of the United States and list of American Pediastrums, 1884
- Fresh-Water Algae of the United States (exclusive of the Diaomaceae) : complemental to Desmids of the United States, 1887
- Diatomacea of North America, 1890
- V.B. Wittrock, "Catalogus illustratus Iconothecae botanicae Horti Bergiani Stockholmiensis", Pars II, Acta Horti Bergiana Bd. 3, No. 3, 1905, p. 202.
- "Francis Wolle". Retrieved December 16, 2012.
|This article about a United States engineer, inventor or industrial designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|