Boix as a witness in the American trial against 61 German Nazi criminals which took place in Dachau, 1946
Francisco Boix Campo
August 31, 1920
|Died||July 7, 1951(aged 30)|
|Cause of death||Kidney failure|
|Burial place||Cimetière du Père-Lachaise|
|Occupation||Photographer and journalist|
|Political party||Juventudes Socialistas Unificadas|
Francisco Boix Campo (31 August 1920, in Barcelona – July 1951 in Paris) was a photographer who presented photographs that played a role in the conviction of Nazi war criminals. As a Spanish republican he was exiled in France in 1939. He was recruited by the French Foreign Legion and French Army and captured in 1940 by the Germans. Boix, like over 7,000 Spaniards, was an inmate in the Mauthausen concentration camp between January 1941 and May 1945, who became known for having testified as a witness in two trials against German Nazi war criminals.
In the Nuremberg trial (International Military Tribunal), Boix was called by the French prosecution to show photographs taken by the SS in Mauthausen. Those photos depicted the conditions in which the prisoners lived and were murdered in that camp. They were also a proof that the camp was known and visited by high leaders of the Third Reich, like Ernst Kaltenbrunner, who appeared visiting both the Mauthausen camp proper, and the Wienergraben quarry in and the camp in Mauthausen.
Boix had hidden these negatives (around 20,000) in the time he was in Mauthausen and worked as a prisoner in the SS photographic service.
Francisco Boix, a photographer in hell is a documentary directed by Llorenç Soler in 2000. El fotógrafo de Mauthausen is a Spanish film directed by Mar Targarona released on 26 October 2018. Mario Casas plays Francisco Boix.
A graphic novel adaptation telling the story of Boix titled Le Photographe de Mauthausen was published in 2017 by Belgian publisher Le Lombard, written by Salva Rubio and pencilled by Pedro J. Colombo.
- "Morning Session". The Avalon Project. Yale Law School. 6. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Lloyd, Nick (30 November 2010). "Capturing Evil - Francesc Boix". Barcelona Metropolitan. The Noise Lab S.L. p. 2. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Graham, Helen (24 March 2005). The Spanish Civil War: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press. p. 127. ISBN 9780191622298.
- "RTVE.es estrena el tráiler de 'El fotógrafo de Mauthausen', protagonizada por Mario Casas". Corporación de Radio y Televisión Española (in Spanish). 22 August 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Mario Casas protagoniza 'El fotógrafo de Mauthausen', participada por RTVE". RTVE (in Spanish). 10 November 2017. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- J. Colombo, Pedro (6 May 2014). "Le Photographe de Mauthausen". Minucias (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Rubio, Salva. "Le Lombard will publish my first graphic novel" [Le Lombard publicará mi primera novela gráfica] (in Spanish). Writers Guild of America, West. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Benito Bermejo, Francisco Boix, el fotógrafo de Mauthausen. Fotografías de Francisco Boix y de los archivos capturados a los SS de Mauthausen, Barcelona, RBA Libros, 2002, ISBN 978-84-7901-847-4 (Biography in Spanish)
- Graham, Helen. The Spanish civil war. A very short introduction. Oxford University Press. 2005.