Francisco Gil Díaz
Francisco Gil Díaz
|Secretary of Finance and Public Credit|
1 December 2000 – 30 November 2006
|Preceded by||José Ángel Gurría|
|Succeeded by||Agustín Carstens|
|Born||2 September 1943|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Political party||Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI)|
|Alma mater||Autonomous Technology Institute of Mexico, University of Chicago|
Francisco Gil Díaz (born 2 September 1943 in Mexico City) is a Mexican economist who served as Secretary of Finance in the cabinet of President Vicente Fox and currently serves as regional chairman of Telefónica for Mexico and Central America.
Gil Díaz is the son of Francisco Gil Arias, a fisherman, and Ana María Díaz Perches. He received a bachelor's degree in economics from the Autonomous Technology Institute of Mexico (ITAM) and a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Chicago, in the United States. He sits on the board of the Ibero-American University and the Anderson School of Management at UCLA.
In the public sector he has served as Undersecretary of Finance (1988–1994) and Vice-Governor of the Mexican central bank (1994–1997). In the private sector he worked as CEO of Avantel, a Mexican telephone and internet service provider (1997 - November 2000).
Gil Díaz is married to Margarita White de la Peña and has four children, including Francisco and Cristina Gil-White. He joined the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) in 1979 and taught economics at the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, where he is also an emeritus professor and where he also received an honorary degree in May 2009.
- Camp, Roderic Ai (1995). Mexican Political Biographies, 1935-1993 (3rd ed.). University of Texas Press. p. 281. ISBN 9780292711815. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Francisco Gil Díaz". Harvard University, Center for International Development. 2005. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Francisco Gil Díaz". University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Francisco Gil Díaz". Presidencia de la República (Mexico). 2006. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- Barranco, Alberto (2009-05-25). "Doble jaque a cementeras". Empresa. El Universal. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Francisco Gil Díaz.|
|This biography of a Mexican economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|